You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Universal Printer Driver for MAC OS 10.15.2 Catalina

I want to use a injet Lexmark Printer Series 800-900. There are no supported drivers on the Lexmark site or on Apple. Two questions: (1) Is there a work-around for this situation? Any universal driver that I can use? (2) Lexmark does have a universal driver for Windows, would that work on my MacBook Pro? All suggestions appreciated.

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 7, 2020 8:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2020 11:23 AM

Thank you for your help, I did some further research using the s/n of the printer and found that I did indeed have the Pinnacle Pro 901 and i found a driver that worked. Appreciate your taking the time to reply.

11 replies

May 7, 2020 4:48 PM in response to printerdriver

Exactly which Lexmark printer model do you want to use?

Apple's AirPrint is a way to print without having to install special drivers.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Just as an example, Lexmark Pro915 is mentioned in the above article. A firmware update (downloadable from Lexmark) should have made this printer AirPrint-enabled.

An AirPrint-enabled printer may or may not have limited functionality. Whether or not a certain printer is compatible with macOS Catalina would have to be verified through tests.

Generally speaking, some printers (capable of handling the relevant language) may possibly even work via a generic PostScript or PCL driver (in a "Use" menu when adding a printer).

May 7, 2020 7:12 PM in response to printerdriver

Hi,

The Lexmark Pro800-Pro900 Series appears to consist of a number of models (Lexmark Prestige Pro802, Lexmark Platinum Pro902, Lexmark Prestige Pro808, Lexmark Platinum Pro908, Lexmark Pinnacle Pro901, Lexmark Platinum Pro905, Lexmark Prestige Pro805). It is not quite clear to me what the differences are between the various models. It is difficult to find detailed information about printer languages and network printing methods (in contrast to the Pro915: https://www.lexmark.com/en_us/printer/6608/Lexmark-Pro915).

General information about how to add a printer can be found here:

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

Providing that your printer really can handle PostScript or PCL, you may want to look for a generic PostScript or PCL driver in the "Use" pop-up menu.

May 8, 2020 1:35 PM in response to printerdriver

macOS supports only AirPrint devices.

If all else fails and you remain bound and determined to keep that printer in service consider using an AirPrint print server. Several models are in the About AirPrint - Apple Support document already mentioned.

MAC OS 10.15.2 Catalina

Updating macOS won't fix that problem but macOS 10.15.4 is the current release: Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support.

May 7, 2020 6:11 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

I have the Lexmark Pro series 800-900 purchased in 2011. I checked with Lexmark and it's not on their driver list. I also called them and didn't get very far, the tech hung up on me after i told him what printer I had and after I waited 20 minutes. Ugh! I tried downloading some firmware NG. I am interested in your comment about a generic PostScript or PCL driver, but not sure how to find that...thank you for your help.

May 8, 2020 7:15 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Addendum

The Lexmark Pinnacle Pro901 and Platinum Pro905 printers have been mentioned in an IBM article "Information on Printers from Lexmark". At least according to this article, these two printers use a Lexmark host-based solution, and do not support LPR or IPP. If this is indicative of the entire Pro800-Pro900 Series, I guess that software from the printer manufacturer will be required, and that the use of third-party generic drivers may have to be ruled out.

The Lexmark Pro915 (link in the previous message) is different, with specifications that should allow connections to a wider range of systems/computers/devices.

May 8, 2020 10:01 AM in response to printerdriver

Hello,

If absolutely necessary, a workaround could of course be to let an older Mac or PC handle the printing. Lexmark drivers can be found from approx. Mac OS X 10.3 to 10.11 and from Windows XP to 8 (check the exact range for your printer model). A local network could be used to move files from the modern Mac to the old computer before printing. One would have to make sure that the applications on the older computer can read files (save/convert files on the modern Mac into an appropriate/old format prior to transfer).

Universal Printer Driver for MAC OS 10.15.2 Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.