Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Settings/App Store apps crash after login attempt

In the App Store app on Apple TV, or in the Settings app in users and accounts, I can't log in with my store ID any longer.

I use 2 separate emails, my iCloud one for the Apple TV account and another one for the App Store.

It seems that my store ID was logged out (it's still listed in previously used emails) and that now whenever I want to log in again, the App Store app or the Settings app crashes (goes back to home screen).

The password is correct (wrong passwords don't crash the apps, they are refused). The right password leads to a crash.

Apple TV restarts don't help. I also can't invite myself via the Home app on iOS, it says invitation failed.

Curiously the Home app still lists the correct store ID for media under my user/name.

Hardware is Apple TV 4K, software is latest.

This means I can not currently download, buy or update any apps.

Thanks

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on May 7, 2020 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 8:34 AM

Just an update on what made it work again…

I disabled Two-step verification for Apple ID, which was always on and worked before. After disabling this and trying again to add my store ID / store user account, the App Store app didn't crash and logged me in.

Before doing that, I tried with the verification code appended method (within 15 seconds of requesting via appleid.apple.com), but since this is a newer Apple TV 4K, this didn't work, as expected.

So, it seems that Apple IDs used for the App Store that aren't iCloud emails (@icloud.com), aren't supported any longer on Apple TV as a user account for the store, when they use Two-step verification (which is different than the newer Two-factor authentication, that iCloud Apple IDs can use).

If this isn't a new bug, this should probably be documented somewhere. A reset wouldn't have helped here.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2020 8:34 AM in response to vazandrew

Just an update on what made it work again…

I disabled Two-step verification for Apple ID, which was always on and worked before. After disabling this and trying again to add my store ID / store user account, the App Store app didn't crash and logged me in.

Before doing that, I tried with the verification code appended method (within 15 seconds of requesting via appleid.apple.com), but since this is a newer Apple TV 4K, this didn't work, as expected.

So, it seems that Apple IDs used for the App Store that aren't iCloud emails (@icloud.com), aren't supported any longer on Apple TV as a user account for the store, when they use Two-step verification (which is different than the newer Two-factor authentication, that iCloud Apple IDs can use).

If this isn't a new bug, this should probably be documented somewhere. A reset wouldn't have helped here.

May 7, 2020 3:58 PM in response to vazandrew

Thank you.

Since this would result in 6+ hours of work setting up dozens of apps' preferences again, I might contact Apple Support directly as well before doing this.

What's weird is that the main Apple TV account ID (my iCloud email) works for logging into the App Store. Why would it crash one ID and not the other though? Any idea what causes this in the first place?

May 9, 2020 8:11 AM in response to vazandrew

Yes, but 2FA isn't available for these Apple IDs if they aren't the main device IDs (as used in the iCloud, Find my device section etc.). That's where 2SV (the older version) came in.

After disabling 2SV, I also tried enabling 2FA, but this only works via iCloud device login, not for additionally used “store IDs.“ It seems that the legacy 2SV system was completely canceled and I just noticed it via the Apple TV store login not working.

If there was a way to transfer purchases from “legacy“ IDs used for the App Store, to newer iCloud device IDs, this wouldn't be an issue. For now, I'll have to resort to just having security questions again.

Settings/App Store apps crash after login attempt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.