Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cropping and rotating in Final Cut Pro X

I'm using some still photos and putting them over a white background to create the look of snapshots with white borders. I've sized and placed them the way I want, including cropping the two sides of the white background (see attached screenshot).

What I want to do now is gradually stack three photos on top of each other, the first one without rotation, the second rotated a little in one direction and the third rotated a little in the other direction. But when I rotate them, the cropping changes so that the corners rather than the sides of the background are cropped (see screenshot).

I tried creating a compound clip with a still photo and the cropped white background, and then rotating the compound clip, but the same thing happened. Then I tried making a freeze frame from the compound clip and rotating that; you guessed it, it still changed the cropping on me. How can I get it to rotate without messing up my cropping?

Posted on May 7, 2020 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2020 6:57 PM

The problem is when you make the compound it takes it sizes from the size of the project. There are a couple of ways around this. One is to make a custom compound clip. File>New>Compound clip. Make t the dimensions you want and put your content in it. The other way is to make the compound in the project, then use the crop function to trim the compound to the right size.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2020 6:57 PM in response to Michael Rosenthal

The problem is when you make the compound it takes it sizes from the size of the project. There are a couple of ways around this. One is to make a custom compound clip. File>New>Compound clip. Make t the dimensions you want and put your content in it. The other way is to make the compound in the project, then use the crop function to trim the compound to the right size.

Cropping and rotating in Final Cut Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.