Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When Using An External Monitor With One iPad, How Do You Move Information From One Screen to the Other?

How can you move applications and documents between an iPad Pro and an external monitor? 

Currently I can mirror the iPad screen on the monitor but can’t  find any setting on the iPad to allow the external monitor or the iPad to be my primary screen. I can’t drag to the second monitor. 

I have also searched for Apps to support this feature and contacted team@duetdisplay.com but was advised I needed a a desktop companion and its drivers in order to work as expected when connected with the iOS app.

I am using an iPad Pro (Model MQDT2B/A) with Apple lightning to digital AV adapter) connected to a monitor ( JVC LT-24CM79W Full HD 23.8" LED Monitor.

Thank you

Posted on May 8, 2020 2:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 7:02 AM

Your iPad allow you to mirror your iPad display to an external monitor. The iPad does not offer an extended desktop experience - such as that to which you may be accustomed with MS Windows and other computing platforms.

If using a PC or Mac as the host computer, it is possible to extend the PC/Mac display to iPad using a third-party application, such as Duet Display, or [where supported] from a Mac to iPad using Apple’s Sidecar feature.

It should be noted that whilst iPad doesn’t support extended desktop, some Apps (e.g., LumaFusion and Affinity Photo) do allow you to use the connected display as a separate display.

I hope this clarification is helpful to your understanding of your iPad’s capabilies.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2020 7:02 AM in response to avril132

Your iPad allow you to mirror your iPad display to an external monitor. The iPad does not offer an extended desktop experience - such as that to which you may be accustomed with MS Windows and other computing platforms.

If using a PC or Mac as the host computer, it is possible to extend the PC/Mac display to iPad using a third-party application, such as Duet Display, or [where supported] from a Mac to iPad using Apple’s Sidecar feature.

It should be noted that whilst iPad doesn’t support extended desktop, some Apps (e.g., LumaFusion and Affinity Photo) do allow you to use the connected display as a separate display.

I hope this clarification is helpful to your understanding of your iPad’s capabilies.

When Using An External Monitor With One iPad, How Do You Move Information From One Screen to the Other?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.