Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan Update Fail

I'm attempting to revive my old 2009 MacBook Pro. I've replaced the hard drive, hard drive cable and disconnected the battery in an attempt to fix it. After disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, the MacBook seemed to be working correctly. I installed the original OS X Snow Leopard using the installation disk and installed some updates. I'm currently trying to upgrade the OS to El Capitan. I installed the OS on a thumb drive and installed the installer on the MacBook. During installation the computer gets hung up during the restart. The progress bar gets stuck and I've tried restarting multiple times. I've tried starting in Safe Mode without any luck. I've also tried to review the log files by pressing Command + L resulting in a blank dark gray screen. The installer window will appear showing 19 minutes remaining without changing overnight. Help what can I do?

MacBook Pro 15", OS X 10.11

Posted on May 8, 2020 4:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 11:06 AM

Hello,

Your Macintosh’s hard disk may be failing.

Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

El Capitan Update Fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.