Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

family sharing asking for old apple id

I set up family sharing with my wife years ago. I changed my Apple ID over a year ago. My wif just got an iPhone 11 and during the ‘new phone’ setup it is asking her for the password of my old obsolete Apple ID.

Is there a work around for this or do I have to remove my wife from family sharing? Is this a bug? Why would it even remember that I bought an app or whatever under the old Apple ID?

Posted on May 8, 2020 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 10:47 AM

It is asking for the password of the defunct email ID during the quick transfer process upon buying a replacement iPhone (iPhone 8 => iPhone 11). I have been asked the same question when upgrading my phone (6 => 8) but it allowed me to skip that step and complete the transfer. I may have done the long data version back then, I don’t remember. Using the new ‘quick transfer it would not allow her to complete the transfer without entering the password for MY old email address.

We ended up just stopping Family Sharing so it would allow her to finish setting up her new phone. Hopefully, we can reinstitute Family Sharing without the need to enter defunct passwords.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2020 10:47 AM in response to Phil0124

It is asking for the password of the defunct email ID during the quick transfer process upon buying a replacement iPhone (iPhone 8 => iPhone 11). I have been asked the same question when upgrading my phone (6 => 8) but it allowed me to skip that step and complete the transfer. I may have done the long data version back then, I don’t remember. Using the new ‘quick transfer it would not allow her to complete the transfer without entering the password for MY old email address.

We ended up just stopping Family Sharing so it would allow her to finish setting up her new phone. Hopefully, we can reinstitute Family Sharing without the need to enter defunct passwords.

May 8, 2020 6:36 AM in response to DaveJK

Apps are forever tied to the AppleID used for purchasing them and cannot be transferred to another AppleID. If you created a wholly new AppleID (as opposed to simply editing the primary login email of your old AppleID -> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202667) then any apps purchased using that old AppleID need to be deleted and re-purchased using the new AppleID.

May 8, 2020 6:43 AM in response to DaveJK

Because apps are forever tied to the Apple ID that bought/ downloaded them. Of course it remembers. If your wife had an app downloaded with that Apple ID, then it will continue to require it to update and install on new devices.

Apple IDs never stop working. There is never any reason to create a new Apple ID.

If the email associated with the Apple ID is going to stop existing, then you can update the Apple ID to a new functional email.

Creating a new apple ID will inevitably create more issues than it solves.

Keep a single Apple ID, and updated as required to maintain access to all purchases made with it.

If that old ID was part of Family Sharing, then it continues to be unless you actually removed it form Family Sharing, and if it was used ot create the family group it is forever the Family Organizer account until the Family Group is disbanded and you would not be able to disband the Family Group without access to that account.

May 8, 2020 7:11 AM in response to DaveJK

You first said you changed your Apple ID, and it as asking for an obsolete one. But now you say you changed the email address? It can't be both. Which one is it.

Did you create an entirely new Apple ID, and simply signed out of the old one or did you update your existing Apple ID with a new email address, in which case there would be no obsolete Apple ID.

Sounds like you did not just change the email on your account. Otherwise it would not be asking for that email address, as the Apple ID would have been updated.

What exactly did you do to your Apple ID? What steps did you follow?

May 8, 2020 8:11 AM in response to DaveJK

I'm not being agressive or pedantic. I'm simply trying to acertain what exactly you did, so we can understand what is happening and be able to help you. If you want us to help you, then we need to know what exactly happened to cause this.

Asking questons and trying to determine what you did is not being pedantic nor aggressive. Its simply trying to figure out what it is you did so we understand why it would be asking for the password to an email you no longer have. Again, since you've provided no details as to where or when its asking for this we have no idea. We are not mind readers. We cannot see what you see on your devices. So we have no clue what is actually going on unless you tell us.

Its very simple, Its rare when there's a confusion by the system regarding which Apple ID was being used. In most cases, the issues stem from something the user did, or failed to do.

When is it asking for the password exactly? When she gets to what step exactly?

Remember we are not Apple support, we are just other users of Apple products volunteering our time trying to help you out.

family sharing asking for old apple id

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.