Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K Setup with A/V Receiver for Supporting 4K Video

I have a new Apple TV 4K unit that is connected to my Pioneer SC-1523-K A/V home theater receiver via a high speed HDMI cable. The video and audio signals go from the Apple TV 4K unit through the receiver to my Samsung Q60 TV and my home theater speakers connected to the A/V receiver and it all works properly. However, when configuring the video setup for the Apple TV 4K unit, I noticed that the highest resolution that it could recognize and support with this setup was 1080p @ 60hz. My Samsung Q60 75" TV supports 4K video. My Pioneer SC-1523-K A/V receiver will support 4K signal transfers (pass through) for 4K 24p, 4K 25p, and 4K 30p signals. With this type of equipment and 4K signal support, how does the Apple TV 4K unit need to be setup/configured in order to get the highest possible resolution on my Samsung TV? I have been unable to find any details associated with configuring the video on the Apple TV 4K when using an A/V receiver so I have no idea what to do next in order to deal with this problem as this is the first time that I have owned an Apple TV 4K device. Any help in solving this issue would be greatly appreciated because the only reason why I spent the $200 to upgrade from my Gen 2 Apple TV device to this new 4K device was to take advantage of the 4K video capabilities that my Samsung TV and A/V receiver both support so if I can't get it to do this then this was just a waste of money...Help?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on May 8, 2020 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 8:53 AM

Yup...You're right...I was just hoping that I could get another couple years out of the one I have (I've had it for 6 years) but I figured there was a high probability that I would run into an issue with the 4K content support at some point along the way...Onkyo makes good stuff as I have owned it before so I will check out the amplifier you suggested and go from there...Thanks for your help!

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 8:53 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Yup...You're right...I was just hoping that I could get another couple years out of the one I have (I've had it for 6 years) but I figured there was a high probability that I would run into an issue with the 4K content support at some point along the way...Onkyo makes good stuff as I have owned it before so I will check out the amplifier you suggested and go from there...Thanks for your help!

May 8, 2020 11:06 AM in response to Tkebrobu78

Pioneer SC-1523-K

No HDMI 2.0 means no HDCP 2.2, which means no commercial content (streaming services or BD) in 4K. All the 4K gimmicks this AV receiver claims to support, does not include what matters most: movies.

Consider connecting the Apple TV to the TV, and have the TV pass through the audio to the receiver (HDMI-ARC).

May 11, 2020 6:04 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I am not entirely sure I understand the first part of your response...but I could not find a specific reference to HDMI 2.0 in the specs - just HDMI - but it does state that it supports HDCP. Perhaps not at the level required to support 4K content via Apple TV? Is that what your statement means?

Regarding your suggestion, I have a Cable box/DVR, blue ray player, game console, etc. that is also connected to this same A/V receiver and playing the audio through the home theater system so perhaps I have to just try some different connection options with/without connection switches or additional cables to see if I can get this to work properly for all of the devices - not just the Apple TV 4K...

May 11, 2020 6:42 AM in response to Tkebrobu78

I could not find a specific reference to HDMI 2.0 in the specs - just HDMI - but it does state that it supports HDCP. Perhaps not at the level required to support 4K content via Apple TV? Is that what your statement means?

Thanks for your reaction. Indeed, not at the level required to support 4K content.

Just HDMI usually means HDMI 1.4 or earlier. Just HDCP usually means HDCP 1.x. Equipment with HDMI 2.0 ports with HDCP 2.2 support should and will usually mention that detail in the documentation, as it is mandatory for 4K (and HDR) content that triggers HDCP.

If HDCP 2.2 is not available when requested, then a lower/previous standard will be used instead, which will reduce the available resolution for content.

Pioneer had introduced its first home theater receivers with HDMI 2.0 connectivity (not HDCP 2.2-compliant though) with its VSX line in 2014. Your model predates that (2013).

This is not specific to Apple TV. Any other 4K capable set-top box (for commercial content) would want HDMI 2.0 ports with HDCP 2.2 support on a receiver as well.

May 11, 2020 8:09 AM in response to Urquhart1244

OK...Many thanks for this info...This is what I thought you meant...So basically, I either need to get a new A/V receiver that supports the required version levels of HDMI/HDCP for 4K content or reverse the connection to go from the Apple TV 4K device, to the TV, and then to the home theater amplifier - which may force me to make some other changes to my configuration in order to use my other source devices (i.e. cable box/DVR, BD, game console, etc.). I assume to do this I would probably need some sort of switching device to control which device is the active input source to the TV and the audio would go out of the TV to the amplifier to a single "audio in" port for any/all audio signals coming out of the TV regardless of which device is the source input to the TV? If you have any thoughts on how this could be done, I am all ears as this is starting to get beyond my novice to moderate knowledge levels on this subject...I am starting to think that the best long term solution to this may be to just sell the amplifier I have now and replace it with a new one that has all the right support for 4K content as this is probably going to be an inevitability and most likely the least problematic for both the short and long hauls...Your thoughts?

May 11, 2020 8:27 AM in response to Tkebrobu78

Yes, it's time for a receiver upgrade. When I switched to Apple TV 4K and bought a new 4K TV I also got a new receiver. My old receiver was pretty ancient and did not even have HDMI inputs. What I ended up with was an Onkyo TX-NR686. So far it has been a great receiver. There are many to choose from and you can usually find a nice one less than $400.

May 11, 2020 8:50 AM in response to Tkebrobu78

There are some advantages to having all the set-top boxes connected to an AV receiver. Usually more HDMI ports, more audio bandwidth, no need for ARC (for those devices), and one remote control to select the input device. A mix of devices connected to the AV receiver and to the TV would make the operation quite awkward.

I am starting to think that the best long term solution to this may be to just sell the amplifier I have now and replace it with a new one that has all the right support for 4K content as this is probably going to be an inevitability and most likely the least problematic for both the short and long hauls...

I think that would be a good decision and the best user experience.

Apple TV 4K Setup with A/V Receiver for Supporting 4K Video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.