Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume issue

So I’m not able to control the volume with either my phone or car volume controls when I’m connected to “CarPlay“ and this just started, it was working fine until a few days ago, i was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if you know of any fixes?

iPhone XR, iOS 12

Posted on May 8, 2020 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2020 7:16 AM

I changed my cord and it finally worked. My question to Apple is I bought this cord at an Apple store in Atlanta in September. It stays stationary in my cord so not damaged. How do I get a replacement for it?

13 replies

May 9, 2020 3:04 PM in response to bobh2825

Hi bobh2825,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I see you're having an issue controlling the volume while using CarPlay, and I'd like to help.

Have you restarted your iPhone since noticing this issue? If not, go ahead and do that, as a restart can resolve unusual issues.

Restart your iPhone 

Are you using a cable to connect to your car stereo? If so, try a different Lightning to USB cable.

If you're using Bluetooth, are you able to adjust the volume when connected to a different device?

The steps in this article may also help: If you need help with CarPlay

Take care!

May 20, 2020 6:17 AM in response to bobh2825

Hey bobh2825,

Thanks for the reply and trying those steps, we appreciate it!

Since your iPhone is able to change volume with a different Bluetooth device, this would indicate that the stereo isn't responding as expected when using CarPlay.

You didn't mention what happened after following the steps in the article we provided earlier, to forget the device and set up CarPlay again.

If those steps didn't resolve the issue, you may need to reset the car stereo also while the Bluetooth connection has been "forgotten". To see if this is an option and/or you need steps for how to reset the car stereo, check the user guide.

There may also be a firmware update available for the car stereo. Check with your car dealership, or the stereo manufacturer.

Cheers!

Volume issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.