Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display Disconnecting/Flashing On and Off Macbook Pro 2018

Greetings, community!

I have been having a really terrible experience with my Thunderbolt Display hooked up to my 2018 MBP as a second monitor using Apple's Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter. At random times, sometimes horrendously disruptive, other times just on occasion, it will disconnect entirely, removing all devices connected to back of display. It will flicker back to the laptop, then come back to normal, having lost all I/O connection on back of display.

Other times it will flash like crazy. On and off, on and off, until I pull the actual cable out from the MBP and plug it back in, which will resolve it for a short period of time. Restarting seems to be the only thing that calms it for a bit.

I have since removed all devices from the back to prevent hurting hard drive data, etc, but this still happens. Things I have tried, in no particular order:

• Reset SMC & NVRAM (probably five dozen times)
  • Re-install Catalina 10.15.4
  • Plugging display into other MBP to see if it's the display itself not the laptop
  • Bought a new display adapter from Apple
  • Turned off automatic graphics switching, turned on

None of these worked. In fact, I did send the laptop to Apple after noticing an expanding battery and they replaced two I/O cables as well (and the keyboard) along with the battery and case. Yet the problem came back within a few days.

In looking at Console, the consistent error I see is this consistently:

• Atempting to get capabilities from capabilities with no devices
  • Attempting to get capabilities when none exist

You can click below to see a full error message dump from just one of the 'disconnect' & 'reconnect' events.

The only thing I can wonder about is if memory is an issue here (32gb here), or if the UGH 630 Graphics or the Radeon Pro 560x 4GB has gone bad? It happens less when I'm not running Creative Suite software like Illustrator, but I can't pinpoint it.

Thank you in advance!

Posted on May 8, 2020 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2020 8:55 AM

zl9600 wrote:

• Greetings, community!

I have been having a really terrible experience with my Thunderbolt Display hooked up to my 2018 MBP as a second monitor using Apple's Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter. At random times, sometimes horrendously disruptive, other times just on occasion, it will disconnect entirely, removing all devices connected to back of display. It will flicker back to the laptop, then come back to normal, having lost all I/O connection on back of display.

Other times it will flash like crazy. On and off, on and off, until I pull the actual cable out from the MBP and plug it back in, which will resolve it for a short period of time. Restarting seems to be the only thing that calms it for a bit.

I have since removed all devices from the back to prevent hurting hard drive data, etc, but this still happens. Things I have tried, in no particular order:
Reset SMC & NVRAM (probably five dozen times)
• Plugging display into other MBP to see if it's the display itself not the laptop
None of these worked. In fact, I did send the laptop to Apple after noticing an expanding battery and they replaced two I/O cables as well (and the keyboard) along with the battery and case. Yet the problem came back within a few days.

Atempting to get capabilities from capabilities with no devices
You can click below to see a full error message dump from just one of the 'disconnect' & 'reconnect' events.
<console errors.log>

The only thing I can wonder about is if memory is an issue here (32gb here), or if the UGH 630 Graphics or the Radeon Pro 560x 4GB has gone bad? It happens less when I'm not running Creative Suite software like Illustrator, but I can't pinpoint it.

Thank you in advance!

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2020 8:55 AM in response to zl9600

zl9600 wrote:

• Greetings, community!

Reset SMC & NVRAM (probably five dozen times)

Atempting to get capabilities from capabilities with no devices
<console errors.log>

Thank you in advance!

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Thunderbolt Display Disconnecting/Flashing On and Off Macbook Pro 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.