Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting past activation lock on an iPhone 5, have original ID but account has been locked

My grandma recently got an older iPhone 5 from some friend of hers and asked me to fix it as it was disabled when she received it. I successfully reset the device using iTunes, up to the activation lock. I have the correct ID and a plethora of passwords provided by the previous owner, but none of said passwords worked, and now the ID has been disabled. I was able to ask her to use the email associated with the ID to re-activate the ID, but she has subsequently forgotten the password to that account as well, and can't seem to access the recovery for that email. After spending most of the afternoon in a goose chase, I'm at my wit's end. I've read on several places, both on and off of the official Apple Community forum, that Apple can recover the device if you have proof of purchase, which can be provided- I've also read that unless the previous owner is able to re-activate the ID, the phone is essentially an expensive paperweight. Any good advice on how to go about this?

iPhone 5

Posted on May 8, 2020 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 3:17 PM

If the original owner has proof of purchase from Apple or Apple authorized

iPhone reseller showing the serial number of the iPhone, have

the original owner contact Apple for assistance.

Contact Support

Without proof of original purchase, Apple will not assist.

Similar questions

2 replies

May 8, 2020 2:56 PM in response to MHill2k

I am sorry about your gandma's situation. Unfortunately the phone will be useless to her. The phone has been erased and is still linked to the previous owner and you are unable to acquire the password needed to avoid activation lock.

What all this means to you is that there is no way we can help you. We are not authorized to remove the

activation lock from any phone. And, under the circumstances, Apple will not help you since you cannot provide proof of ownership that Apple will consider to be sufficient.

Getting past activation lock on an iPhone 5, have original ID but account has been locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.