Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios12.4.6 install issues

Hi!

My iphone 5s has prohibited my mobile network from working (ie. no phone calls, texts, mobile data) until I update to 12.4.6.

However each time I try to download and install the new update, it fails, and I get the following message on my iphone:

Unable to verify update

ios 12.4.6 failed verification because you are no longer connected to the internet

based on other questions similiar to this from the past, I have tried everything that has been recommended:

• connect to laptop and update via itunes - doesn't work
  • tried resetting my network on my iphone - didnt help
  • restarting phone - no difference
  • gone into iphone storage, deleted ios update, and reinstalled - same thing happens.

Despite my internet working (since I can use my browser, apps, etc).

And I have tried all these things multiple times, to no avail.

The only other thing, is because of the lockdown I can't check to see if it works on another network (i.e work or university).

My internet is running a bit slower than usual (due to the lockdown, I guess), so let me know if you think this could be the reason why, but otherwise I am at a loss.

I hope this isn't an example of Apple trying to push old iphone users to update their phones.

Hopefully someone can think of the issue here. Thanks!

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on May 8, 2020 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2020 12:35 AM

There are two Updates in an iPhone / iPad:

1. iOS update
  2. Carrier Settings Update

Read more...

1. iOS Update (Recommended): Released by Apple Inc basically for improvements, security and bug fixes. My 10 years of experience says, it may not be the primary cause of any failure of Cellular Data, Calls & SMSs on your iPhone, if not updated
  2. Carrier Update (Required): Released by your Cellular Service provider (Carrier Update), affects your Outgoing / Incoming calls, SMS, Data etc..

How to Update Carrier Settings

You can manually check for and install a carrier settings update with these steps: Make sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network. Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

How to update iOS

Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates, then turn off AutomaticUpdates. At any time, you can check for and install software updates. Go to Settings > General > Software Update. The screen shows the currently installed version of iOS and whether an update is available.

Update iOS software on iPhone - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2020 12:35 AM in response to _iphone5s_user

There are two Updates in an iPhone / iPad:

1. iOS update
  2. Carrier Settings Update

Read more...

1. iOS Update (Recommended): Released by Apple Inc basically for improvements, security and bug fixes. My 10 years of experience says, it may not be the primary cause of any failure of Cellular Data, Calls & SMSs on your iPhone, if not updated
  2. Carrier Update (Required): Released by your Cellular Service provider (Carrier Update), affects your Outgoing / Incoming calls, SMS, Data etc..

How to Update Carrier Settings

You can manually check for and install a carrier settings update with these steps: Make sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network. Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings.

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

How to update iOS

Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates, then turn off AutomaticUpdates. At any time, you can check for and install software updates. Go to Settings > General > Software Update. The screen shows the currently installed version of iOS and whether an update is available.

Update iOS software on iPhone - Apple Support

ios12.4.6 install issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.