Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud windows don't have option for "download photos"

Hi,

I'm in a situation where i have to delete all my

photos in my library (for security purposes) and I want to store it somewhere so that i dont lose my photos and have the dates all messed up.

I'm trying to store all my photos from iPhone to my PC through iCloud windows. I have successfully managed to view them in my iClouds folder in file explorer.

However, there is still the cloud icon beside every picture and i want it to be the green tick which means it can be stored offline.

My iCloud menu only has the option to upload photos instead of having both "download" and "upload" even though it stated "Updated Just Now".

Would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 8, 2020 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 3:52 AM

I have resolved the same issue today with the help of Apple Support, and it's really straight forward:

1. Delete the iCloud app downloaded from the Microsoft Store
  2. Download and install the one from Apple on this link - download iCloud for Windows on Apple's website

THAT'S IT!

The one on the Microsoft store does not give you the options, but the one from Apple does.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2020 3:52 AM in response to hakanilter

I have resolved the same issue today with the help of Apple Support, and it's really straight forward:

1. Delete the iCloud app downloaded from the Microsoft Store
  2. Download and install the one from Apple on this link - download iCloud for Windows on Apple's website

THAT'S IT!

The one on the Microsoft store does not give you the options, but the one from Apple does.

May 10, 2020 7:15 AM in response to rubyvoo

Hey rubyvoo,

Thanks for posting about downloading your iCloud Photos content to your PC. I'd be glad to help you en sure that you have that content safely stored on your PC prior to emptying out your iCloud Photos.

You're already on the right track by having iCloud for Windows downloaded and configured. Take a quick look at the "Download your photos and videos from iCloud Photos" section of Set up and use iCloud Photos on your Windows PC for info on how to make sure those items are downloaded to your PC.

That should get you taken care of. If a question comes up, be sure to post it.

Be well!

May 10, 2020 10:01 AM in response to rubyvoo

Have same issue. Running Win10 Version 1903 (Build 18362.778) which meets the recommended requirements. iCloud for Windows is Version 11.1.71.0. iCloud just updated itself and changed my configuration. Put photos in different location from where I want them, holds them in the cloud vs. downloading local, etc.

These are the only choices I now see:

May 10, 2020 8:45 AM in response to jeremy_v

Thanks for your reply!

But my icloud settings only have 2 options "iCloud photos; upload and store your PC..." and "Shared Albums". Instead of the 6 shown on the link you provided.

Hence, i think this might be the reason i'm not seeing the download option when i click the iCloud icon on the task bar.

However, I found out that highlighting each file and right clicking "Open" will force it to download onto my PC. After this, the green ticks start appearing in place of the cloud icon.

Is this one possible way of downloading photos onto my PC? It's gonna take a long while to download everything so i hope you can let me know if i'm on the right track.

Thanks so much!

May 10, 2020 1:21 PM in response to Sabby2

Further. The newest version of iCloud for Windows (from the Microsoft Store) does not have that array of options, only like screen print above. I have another Win10 laptop that had the choices, turns out the iCloud software was downloaded from Apple (not the MS Store version). To keep everything playing nicely together (PC desktop, PC laptop, iPhone, iPad) I got rid of the Apple version on the laptop. It does not appear you can change the folder path, so it's going to create an iCloud Photos folder in your Pictures folder. Not what you might want if you have other sync interfaces with that folder and don't want a third - i.e. it might be preferable to have iCloud do its syncing elsewhere on your hard drive. That having been said, it's working as advertised and I've disabled the other sync program I use (iDrive) for that particular folder.

Finally, if you have the space available and don't want to mess around with some pictures local and others in the cloud, just right click the Photos folder in the parent folder (the iCloud Photos folder) and check the Always keep on this device option, and every photo that get uploaded from your camera will automatically download and be local on the device. Just remember, that if you remove it from your phone for example, it's going to be removed from the PC even though it's local at the time. Move it to another place (folder) on your HD if you really want to keep it despite what happens on your phone or the iCloud website...

May 14, 2020 4:30 AM in response to BDSPLAYER

If your intentions are to download photos, here's what I did. I wanted to store the photos in an external drive so I just copied and pasted the whole chunk into a folder in my external drive while it is still "Online" (Cloud icon). I found a pretty weird way to download it onto the PC too if that's what you want. Select the photos you want, right click, then click "Open". It forces the PC to download the photos first before opening it, that was the only way i managed to get the cloud icon to turn into a green tick.

May 14, 2020 5:52 AM in response to rubyvoo

Ok thanks big time for replying. I was able to download my 26K photos by going to iCloud.com and downloading 1000 at a time (the max Apple allows from iCloud.com. I appreciate your input on other ways to do it. If you or anyone get the iCloud for Windows to function as a "syncing" tool in regards to photos as is supposed to be it's function using iCloud library, I sure would appreciate any update in this thread.

Jun 8, 2020 9:51 AM in response to hakanilter

Just to make matters worse, when you download the files from the cloud, the file date is the current date rather than the date taken from the meta data - back to plugging in the phone to download - a giant step backwards. It is great that Apple wants us beholden to their cloud, but I have 100s of thousands of images - that is just not possible.

Jun 9, 2020 4:40 PM in response to rjadelsohn

I'm disappointed too. All my photos used to automatically get downloaded to my Downloads folder. All of a sudden I noticed it stopped doing that. I assume my iCloud for Windows auto updated, its now on version 11.2. Now that option is gone. This function was literally the ONLY reason I installed iCloud for Windows to begin with. Paid a small fortune for my iPhone. Can't believe they would remove this function. It's going to create MORE work for me to save and backup my images. Sorry Apple, but I have uses for my photos that go beyond the cloud service. I'll be looking for other cloud options that have that function. Please let me know if you know of a good one.

Jun 18, 2020 6:08 PM in response to rubyvoo

I keep getting the message to update my iCloud app . It kept failing because of a problem with outlook which I don't even use, but that is another issue. I ended up reinstalling the iCloud app with the latest version. This was a big mistake for me since I need to redirect the photo download to an external drive. My labtop does not have the storage for the volume of pictures I have in the cloud. This worked fine in the previous iCloud version where I could specify the download location. Now I have the 2 options of upload PC photos to the iCloud (which I don't want) and specify the shared download album location. This is literally useless to me. I want to backup my photos to an external drive and maintain my own copy. I no longer can do that. I also found that if I deselect the photos or iCloud Drive from the app settings it deletes the copy of any already downloaded files without giving the user an option. Why make this app worse? I don't understand these design changes. I'm going to try using a shortcut for the photos folder to redirect the download. if that doesn't work I will just have to delete the app. I also notice I no longer can download by year from the app which I found useful in the past.

iCloud windows don't have option for "download photos"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.