Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 Macbook Pro overheating

I just bought a 2020 Macbook pro and have only had it for about 5 days. After being on it for not even 10 minutes, it starts to overheat, to the point where it's too hot to touch, and a fan comes on. What is causing it to overheat so quickly? I do not have a ton of applications open, usually only one.

MacBook

Posted on May 8, 2020 10:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 7:22 AM

jessica1623 wrote:

I just bought a 2020 Macbook pro and have only had it for about 5 days. After being on it for not even 10 minutes, it starts to overheat, to the point where it's too hot to touch, and a fan comes on. What is causing it to overheat so quickly? I do not have a ton of applications open, usually only one.

Verify you are plugging the USBC charger into the right side of the Mac—

For thermal management resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

You have free call in support, take advantage of that Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

That said—I would not hesistate to return for a full refund, or exchange for one that works out of the box.

239 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2020 7:22 AM in response to jessica1623

jessica1623 wrote:

Verify you are plugging the USBC charger into the right side of the Mac—

For thermal management resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

You have free call in support, take advantage of that Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

That said—I would not hesistate to return for a full refund, or exchange for one that works out of the box.

May 29, 2020 5:28 PM in response to jessica1623

I'm having the same problem and i've only used it two days. Brand new 13inch i7 16gb 256, directly from Apple. I've been on the customer support line for 30minutes now. They told me i could send it to repair which i responded that I am not confortable with that, not understanding why my brand new computer needs technical repair 2 days out of the box. I'm only using the internet and one App at a time. The fans strongly whirr at sudden moments and the heat coming off of the computer is to a point where i cannot put it on my lap. The most worrying part is that the entire time I have been using it on top of a fan cooling base. I'm waiting for the rep to hear from his 'supervisor' and see how this goes... It took me so much hard work and time to get this computer, I really hope they can show up on customer service on this.

Aug 6, 2020 12:29 PM in response to JessUhr

Hi JessHr,

I bought my new MacBook pro 2020 13" 16GB 1Tb in June.

My usage is not that much and I was just beginning to use it. In July the Catalina update came in.

I have been trying to use by Bluetooth but it sorts of abruptly shuts down my machine. Mine did over heat when I was charging with the ports on the left side. While on the right side - weirdly it does nt heat up.

I have been facing the issue of the abrupt Bluetooth shutdown causing a system shutdown abruptly. You should try that test to see If u have a similar problem

Something tells me that Apple has something pretty wrong on these new 2020 13" MacBook pros. My 2010 MacBook Pro is still working - though a little hot, but works and is more solid than the new one! Weird!

And yes I did try the SMC resets, SAFE boot, Reinstalling the OS post and pre formatting the entire machine. No body has answers for stuff like:

1. Why does the battery percentage show different numbers at startup login screen and the post startup desktop screen.
  2. Why does the entire machine shut down if the blue tooth is switched off?
  3. If bluetooth is switched off pre startup of the machine why the machine dies on its own when starting up in normal mode.

None of these is an issue if you switch it on in SAFE mode. Have you tried switching on in Safe mode and see if the heating happens??

May 9, 2020 6:03 PM in response to jessica1623

jessica1623 Said:

2020 Macbook Pro overheating: Is there anything else I should try to do before going in that direction? Or do you think I'm better off replacing it?...

I Agree - Return it.

Contact Apple Support:

Have Apple take the Mac back in for return(or a swapout). Being that Apple Stores are closed at the moment due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, Send-In Service is all that is available at the moment. So, here is how it would work:

Send-In Service Method:

1. You: would contact Apple
  2. Apple: should send you a box
  3. You: would ship this to Apple
  4. Apple: would proceed with the return

Apple Support Contact Info:

How to Where to Place This:

In the meantime, while you are expecting the box, being that it is hot, place it in an open space (not in a closet or the corner of the room). If you have a laptop cooler, most certainly place it on that, powering the cooler from a device an external device, other the Laptop (i.e. use an external plug for the wall).

May 9, 2020 5:01 PM in response to jessica1623

You have 14 days to get a full refund, I know some things that can be done, like a Laptop Cooler, but that would be ridiculous for a brand new Mac & shouldn't be needed.

What temperatures does this App report? Especially the GPU.

This App can be used to speed up the fans, all my iMacs would be dead without it.

Never ever ever drop fan speeds below the speed that the Mac itself is calling for.

MacFansControl…

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Jun 4, 2020 8:16 AM in response to jessica1623

You captured Activity Monitor while it was set to "My Processes." You need it set to "All Processes" to get a real picture of what is happening. To change, use AM's "View" menu:

That is the view required to see the worst of the troublemakers. AM uses a dynamic display so you cans see wha tis hapening but screenshots of the display don't usually help much.

However, in the view you posted I can see why I never recommend Google Chrome!

Jul 7, 2020 11:47 PM in response to giladvalkor

This is unbelievable. I just got this MacBook Pro 2020 a little over a week ago, and have been happy, but there has been overheating issues.

This is brand new and it’s the upgraded dual fan 10th generation intel processors model. I thought I was the only one with the issue. The computer runs hot simply from A few tabs open on safari. I purchased this computer to replace my 2018 MacBook Air which ran extremely hot and I assumed it had an overheating problem as well, and I thought the new 2020 MacBook Pro would fix all this. If I’m going to spend $2.2K CAD on such an expensive machine I don’t want it to be overheating from simple tasks, I haven’t even had a zoom call on it yet. I’m calling Apple tomorrow likely going to return it, and get an iPad Pro. What’s the point of upgrading from my MacBook Air 2018 to this when it has the same overheating problem? Disappointing. Truly disappointing. Not the same Apple I remember from 10 years ago with their “just works” philosophy.

Sep 20, 2020 2:24 AM in response to fatima_p17

replying to myself a couple days later to update!!!

I installed Fanny, Intel Power Gadget, and Macs Fan control. It was still running pretty hot but after tinkering with the fan control, I got it to warm up enough to comfortably put on my lap but the fans are loud (kinda bothered me but I sucked it up lol). I had a few Microsoft Teams and Zoom meetings and whew, the fans were LOUD. Straight up screeching with my laptop basically burning to touch by the Touch Bar. Temperature was playing around 70-98 degree Celsius during the call despite me trying to use Mac fan control to try to calm it down. Didn't work so I immediately turned it off right after my video calls to cool down. That was a day after downloading those apps and about two days after getting my replacement laptop. I figured that was normal since laptops do that on video calls anyway. As for the temperature... not sure if it's reasonable.

Now two days after that, I feel like it heats up less? I mean it's still warm on my lap but not burning per se. Here is a screenshot of what my screen looks like and the temperature - Intel Power Gadget is open along with safari with a few tabs, PPT, and Google chrome with twitter open and Disney+ playing. It's not hot but there is some heat, which is normal considering the stuff I have open. It hasn't heat up in a hurt-to-touch way for two days so I'm optimistic! I'm definitely getting used to the Touch Bar, keyboard, and the AirPods Pro (Education Bundle) this came with so I'm hoping not to return it. I have a week until my 14-day return period is up so I'm really pushing the performance to kind of figure out if the heat will be gone or if it's just playing nice.

Sep 27, 2020 3:42 PM in response to fatima_p17

replying to myself again :) I haven't had issues in the week since I posted except for the heat but it's been tolerable so far; sometimes I don't even notice. until last night and today. Last night, it got so hot it burned me again so I quickly closed it, forgetting to check temp. I turned it on once it calmed down but the screen was grey with gridlines. I forced it to shut down by pressing the power button and it was normal when it turned on again.

then this afternoon, I was doing work when it burned me again. the area above the Touch Bar was scorching, and the bottom was as hot as boiling coffee and I almost hurled it off my lap. the temp played around 88-90C while only having Safari open. just safari, nothing else. I turned it off but the fan was still running so I shut it down. when it was okay to touch again, the fan was still running but very loudly to the point where it was blowing the ends of my hair. I have a phone call with apple support later and I will be exchanging this, again. sadly, return isn't possible anymore as I have traded-in my old 2016 MacBook Pro so I'm stuck with this lil shiz

May 29, 2020 6:04 PM in response to mcg_pr

mcg_pr Said:

"[...]They told me i could send it to repair which i responded that I am not confortable with that, not understanding why my brand new computer needs technical repair 2 days out of the box.[...]"

-------

Why Risk a Faulty Device?:

From all that you've mentioned, it seems like a faulty device. So, getting this serviced seems the way best way to go from here.

2020 Macbook Pro overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.