Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb superdrive

i have a new MacMacbook pro and USB SuperDrive which do not want toward together........keeps saying needs power although connected to USB port.....any suggestions??

Posted on May 9, 2020 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2020 6:00 AM

Walsy72 wrote:

i have a new MacMacbook pro and USB SuperDrive which do not want toward together........keeps saying needs power although connected to USB port.....any suggestions??

You do not say what exact " new MacMacbook pro" this is...

Try a different cable

Try a different adapter

Test on a different Mac

Return it for one that works

How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Support

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2020 6:00 AM in response to Walsy72

Walsy72 wrote:

You do not say what exact " new MacMacbook pro" this is...

Try a different cable

Try a different adapter

Test on a different Mac

Return it for one that works

How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Support

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

May 9, 2020 5:57 AM in response to leroydouglas

What is mentioned on that support page from Apple and what is commonly known to cause issues is connecting the SuperDrive via a USB hub. That really typically does not work, even though you might expect it to work, since most times USB devices work fine when connected to a hub.

Since your new MacBook Pro probably does not have USB-A ports, make sure you use one of the 3 supported adapters listed in the same Apple support page.

usb superdrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.