Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Went to reset and a folder with a question mark was just blinking

So u was trying to reset my computer and went to reset and a folder with a question mark was just blinking and computer not even 5 months old

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 9, 2020 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2020 8:35 AM

uriel81 wrote:

So u was trying to reset my computer and went to reset and a folder with a question mark was just blinking and computer not even 5 months old

If your Mac starts up to a question mark

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204323

3 replies

May 9, 2020 8:33 AM in response to uriel81

When you say "reset" do you mean you erased your drive and wanted to reinstall the OS? Need more info also. What MacBook do you have, year and specs? What OS are you trying to install?

One more thing. This is the MacBook Pro forum. Using a post title "MacBook Pro" may not get you many responses. A proper thread title would be "Flashing question mark when trying to reset my computer".

May 9, 2020 9:10 AM in response to uriel81

If you did a PRAM/NVRAM Reset, you may have lost the startup disk setting. Hold Option at startup to invoke the Startup Manager aka System Selector.

If your Macintosh HD (or whatever you re-named it) is shown, you may have merely lost the "set startup" setting.

You can start your system [ONCE] by selecting your startup disk and telling it to proceed. NB>> This does NOT fix the underlying problem(s)

You can restore the startup disk setting later, using:

System preferences > Startup Disk

Note: MacOSX Base System is used a temporary-name for Installer-image/Recovery systems. MacOSX Base System is NEVER used for a full MacOS installation.

Went to reset and a folder with a question mark was just blinking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.