Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Screensaver - Recent Photos

Since the beginning of time (ATV4), the screensaver config has been a puzzle. I am able to set the screensaver for Shared Photo albums, however I would like to use my normal photos like what I see in the AppleTVs Photos app under the category of “recents”.

Is this possible?

Apple TV HD, 13

Posted on May 10, 2020 1:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 1:28 PM

I don’t think you are missing anything. You are looking for a feature that is not there.

The Recents album is a ‘smart’ album, making it dynamic over time, like a live search query that is renewed every time it is accessed. It is not a ‘real’ album like the static albums, where all albums have pointers to all their specific images.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2020 1:28 PM in response to Lennys26

I don’t think you are missing anything. You are looking for a feature that is not there.

The Recents album is a ‘smart’ album, making it dynamic over time, like a live search query that is renewed every time it is accessed. It is not a ‘real’ album like the static albums, where all albums have pointers to all their specific images.

May 10, 2020 8:31 AM in response to Lennys26

The custom screen saver will be the total or a selection from a photo album at the time that this screen saver is set/defined.

Currently it is not dynamic, to search for recent photos specifically. Use AirPlay instead for such functionality.

If you think many users would benefit from such a feature, then you could suggest it to Apple.

May 10, 2020 11:18 AM in response to Urquhart1244

@Urquhart1244 - Thanks. That makes sense, however, I want the ATV to use the recent photos that are available from the general photos that I have taken (understanding the lack of static nature of the load). So, this would mean that the folder album is called "Recents" (in my iPhone under Photos->Albums.

On the AppleTV, when I go to Screensaver->My Photos, I only have options for "Shared", which contains a selectable list of albums that I have shared with family/friends, and "Activity", which is a [very small selection, thus extremely repetitive list] of random photos from those shared albums.

Am I missing something?

Apple TV Screensaver - Recent Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.