Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean install, long hang on startup?

I just did a clean install of Catalina on my 27" iMac 5k. Everything is fresh and minimal and the system runs great. But there is a very long hang on startup completely opening the Finder.

The machine starts up and I can use applications, but the Finder takes about 5-10 minutes to complete. I believe it is something to do with network activity, just a guess.

I remember having a similar issue many years ago and do not remember the solution if indeed is the same issue.

Once the Finder completes the system runs flawlessly.

Thanks for any help diagnosing this.

Henry

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 10, 2020 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2020 5:41 AM

I did a new clean install and the issue went away and in general the system seems "much happier". I am very surprised that the first "clean" install must of had some glaring issues, but still completed and there were no errors or other ways to discover issues. When I ran Disk Utility no errors were found. IN any event, I was much more careful and methodical adding my applications and system extensions back onto the new install and so far it seems to be all good.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2020 5:41 AM in response to Henry Cline1

I did a new clean install and the issue went away and in general the system seems "much happier". I am very surprised that the first "clean" install must of had some glaring issues, but still completed and there were no errors or other ways to discover issues. When I ran Disk Utility no errors were found. IN any event, I was much more careful and methodical adding my applications and system extensions back onto the new install and so far it seems to be all good.

Jun 3, 2020 6:11 AM in response to Henry Cline1

NOT SO FAST! I started having issues again, hanging apps, a kernal panic and after chatting with Apple, I removed the after market RAM I had installed about a year ago and the issues all went away. Then for kicks I put the after market RAM in the slots withere the Apple OEM RAM was installed and still everything works perfectly. It appears that I have a bad RAM slot?

Thirty years of Apple computers and I never have had an issue with a RAM slot, for now all is well, but I am curious what it might cost to fix this issue?

Clean install, long hang on startup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.