Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri responds only with text

Siri responds only with text if in car or no wifi. For example, in the past when not on wifi, I press the home button and ask to send text to John and Siri would ask what I want to say, or I could ask read text from John and Siri will speak his last text. But now, Siri only responds to me in text when not on wifi. I have always kept cell data off with a few exceptions on certain apps since I don't have unlimited data. I don't think I made changes there.

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on May 10, 2020 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 2:17 PM

Hold on, I figured it out. My iPhone connected to my car Bluetooth. Siri assumes I can hear her in my car speakers, which was not the case but that is another issue.

This is why it only happens in my car. I shut off Bluetooth on the iPhone and I can hear Siri.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 2:17 PM in response to RJV76

Hold on, I figured it out. My iPhone connected to my car Bluetooth. Siri assumes I can hear her in my car speakers, which was not the case but that is another issue.

This is why it only happens in my car. I shut off Bluetooth on the iPhone and I can hear Siri.

Siri responds only with text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.