Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overheating after updating to macOS 10.15.4

I was happy with Catalina and I was on 10.15 but I decided to update to latest version which is 10.15.4 and after updating my MacBook Pro overheats even without any apps opened. The fan starts to run after few mins of turning on MacBook and it runs wild if I put some load on it. even opening music app can make fan run like crazy. My MacBook model is MacBook Pro 13" Retina early 2015. So I decided to reinstall again thinking maybe there was an issue with installation of os. It solved no problems and when I tried running playgrounds app it made run fan even crazier and battery got from 70% to 15% in 20-30 mins. So I reinstalled macOS version that came with my laotop(Yosemite) and it worked fine and battery works fine too. Even upgrading to Mojave again worked fine. No overheating and I don't think fan even spun for all that time no matter what I did. But I needed Xcode's latest version and had to upgrade again. The issues are back. Without putting any load it overheats too much on the right side and fan is always blowing out hot air even if I do simple tasks. And battery can last only upto 2 hours if I just browse the internet with no other apps opened. Is this issue related to 10.15.4 because in previous versions of macOS Catelina worked fine. Is there any way to get 10.15.3? Xcode works on that and I think I won't face these issue in that version.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 10, 2020 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2020 11:12 AM

Please read See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity as well as Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperature including all the "tips." They're important.

Similar questions

1 reply

Overheating after updating to macOS 10.15.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.