Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Table of Contents - question

I'm making a table of contents. But am having an issue. I can't seem to get the page numbers to sit opposite the 'headings'. They are parked under the headings listed in the Table of Contents. I can't find any way to change the width of the Table of Contents, or the formatting of the numbers in relation to the headings. See attached screenshot. Any suggestions?

Ben

Posted on May 10, 2020 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 3:11 AM

Hi Ben,

Tested in Pages 10.0 under macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Menu > View > Show Rulers.

Click on the Table of Contents to select it.

On the horizontal Ruler, drag the upside down blue triangle on the right (the right paragraph indent) towards the right until it coincides with the left-facing blue triangle on the right (Tab Stop).

Alternatively, delete the Tab Stop.

Have a play with the blue symbols on the ruler as you keep an eye on Format > Text > Indents and Format > Text > Tabs to see what changes as you drag:

Regards,

Ian.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 3:11 AM in response to Ben Low

Hi Ben,

Tested in Pages 10.0 under macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Menu > View > Show Rulers.

Click on the Table of Contents to select it.

On the horizontal Ruler, drag the upside down blue triangle on the right (the right paragraph indent) towards the right until it coincides with the left-facing blue triangle on the right (Tab Stop).

Alternatively, delete the Tab Stop.

Have a play with the blue symbols on the ruler as you keep an eye on Format > Text > Indents and Format > Text > Tabs to see what changes as you drag:

Regards,

Ian.

May 19, 2020 9:26 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Ian, terrific ...

Here is the Table of Contents with the Document in the Inspector

Here is the Table of Contents with the Format in the Inspector

Here is the page after where the standard text starts. Neither the Format or the Document have changed.

Here is where the Table of Contents ends and the text begins (a page later). I'm not sure what that long blue line with the page on the end means? The end of the Table of Contents, a manual Page Break?

Happy to send anything else ... I know it's some odd little thing I'm missing. I was able to move the margins a bit on the Table of Contents, but it was erratic, and would sometimes lock and not move, then move ... it's those little blue arrows and bars up in the ruler that's throwing me off I think. I don't get the conventions.

All ears, and super appreciative, Ben

May 18, 2020 9:23 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Ian,

A great help, thank you. I'm thinking now it was an older file opening automatically in an older version of Pages. I opened it in Pages 10, and could finally see the blue tabs.

The one thing I'm having a bit of an issue figuring out ... is how to move the left margin of the T of contents further to the left. I don't want to mess with the whole document margin ... it's 85 pages of carefully laid out text. But the Table of Contents margin is too far to the right, and the little blue tab at the top doesn't seem to want to move left. ??

All ears, Ben

Table of Contents - question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.