You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a UCB-C monitor that delivers only 60w power damage my MacBook Pro 16" if its power supply is also connected?

Hi, I have a Phillips 258B USB-C type monitor. It's charge won't be enough to run my soon to be delivered 16" MBP.

My question is can I have both the USB-C monitor connector and the original MBP charger plugged in bearing in mind that the monitor is delivering 60w and the MBP charger is delivering its 96w?

Will the MBP just use its own charger and ignore the monitor one?

Not sure how this works or what to do here and I don't want to damage the laptop, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 10, 2020 4:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 5:39 PM

Charging at more than the gratuitous 5 volts at 0.5 Amps of an old fashioned USB port requires a negotiation between the two "smart" devices using USB Power Delivery.

Since your MacBook requires FAR more power than that, it will be forced to negotiate a power agreement between all attached devices. Attach as many "smart" power sources as you wish, and your Mac will use USB Power Delivery protocols to make sure it is powered in the way that it feels is best. No damage to anything will result.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 11, 2020 5:39 PM in response to Peter Loew

Charging at more than the gratuitous 5 volts at 0.5 Amps of an old fashioned USB port requires a negotiation between the two "smart" devices using USB Power Delivery.

Since your MacBook requires FAR more power than that, it will be forced to negotiate a power agreement between all attached devices. Attach as many "smart" power sources as you wish, and your Mac will use USB Power Delivery protocols to make sure it is powered in the way that it feels is best. No damage to anything will result.

May 11, 2020 11:28 AM in response to Peter Loew

Hello Peter Loew,

It sounds like you're asking if it's okay to connect your MacBook Pro 16-inch computer to your external monitor while both the monitor and the computer are plugged into power. I'd like to help answer your question.

It should not cause issues for your MacBook to receive more than 96W. As you can see in the following support article, you can even use a charger with your MacBook that is a higher wattage than the charger the computer came with as long as it's compatible: Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook. Your Mac should charge at the same speed with or without your external monitor connected and will use the appropriate amount of wattage in order to do so.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

May 11, 2020 4:57 PM in response to jeremy_v

Hi and thanks for your reply. Actually my question is about using more than one power connector at the same time.

As stated, my monitor's USB-C also provides power to the laptop, but only at 60w, which by your linked article won't be enough to properly charge the 16" MBP especially when under load.

My question is simply - is it safe to use both that monitor cable, knowing it provides a 60w charge (and obviously connects the MBP to the monitor display) AND also the original power supply that comes with the MBP at the same time?

I think the answer is yes as I have read that the MBP manages any power requests and will only take from the higher wattage provider - and this is what I now want to verify.

Any insights or references you can provide will be great!

Will a UCB-C monitor that delivers only 60w power damage my MacBook Pro 16" if its power supply is also connected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.