Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Photos changes time and time zones taken by Sony & GoPro cameras so pictures are out of order!

All cameras were set to the same Asia timezone with correct time at capture:

iPhone 7+, Sony A6000, Sony NEX-5R, and GoPro7 Black - all EXIF data are showing correct capture and creation date and time.

Imported into Photos:

iPhone pictures are in the correct timezone and correct time.

Sony A6000, NEX-5R, and GoPro7 Black pictures are ALL time shifted to the US Pacific timezone 16 hours from when the photos were taken.

So now my travel pictures taken not by iPhones are ALL out of order!

How to stop OS X Photos app from changing the time zones and shifting time for photos not taken by iPhones? The Photos app apparently is incapable of reading Sony and GoPro's timezone correctly!

I simply don't have time to adjust all of the photos.

Posted on May 10, 2020 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 7:38 AM

You could quickly adjust the date and time for the correct timezone offset, if you collect the images for each camera in a separate smart album, based on the camera model.

File > New Smart album, then use two rules combined by "Match All", one rule for the date range, one rule for the camera model, like this:

Select all photos in the smart album together with ⌘A, and open "Image > Adjust Date & Time".

In the Adjust Date & Time dialog click the correct Time Zone strip, set the "closest City" correctly, then ensure, that the "Time Adjusted" is the same as the "Original Time". You will only want to change the time zone, not the capture time.

Do this for each camera model separately.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 7:38 AM in response to A.Y.

You could quickly adjust the date and time for the correct timezone offset, if you collect the images for each camera in a separate smart album, based on the camera model.

File > New Smart album, then use two rules combined by "Match All", one rule for the date range, one rule for the camera model, like this:

Select all photos in the smart album together with ⌘A, and open "Image > Adjust Date & Time".

In the Adjust Date & Time dialog click the correct Time Zone strip, set the "closest City" correctly, then ensure, that the "Time Adjusted" is the same as the "Original Time". You will only want to change the time zone, not the capture time.

Do this for each camera model separately.

May 25, 2020 10:33 PM in response to A.Y.

I loved how Apple handled the time zones on import in Aperture.

When we imported photos from a camera we could specify two time zones:

• Camera Time: the timezone of the clock in the camera, when the photos have been taken
  • Actual Time: the timezone to be used to display the photos in the library

The camera time is necessary to get the photos correctly sorted between different cameras.

The Actual Time is necessary to get the stream of all photos correctly split into days.

To allow us to give Photos a hint when importing photos would much safer than having photos trying to infer these two values automatically.

May 11, 2020 4:42 AM in response to A.Y.

A.Y. wrote:

All cameras were set to the same Asia timezone with correct time at capture:
iPhone 7+, Sony A6000, Sony NEX-5R, and GoPro7 Black - all EXIF data are showing correct capture and creation date and time.

Imported into Photos:
iPhone pictures are in the correct timezone and correct time.
Sony A6000, NEX-5R, and GoPro7 Black pictures are ALL time shifted to the US Pacific timezone 16 hours from when the photos were taken.

So now my travel pictures taken not by iPhones are ALL out of order!

How to stop OS X Photos app from changing the time zones and shifting time for photos not taken by iPhones? The Photos app apparently is incapable of reading Sony and GoPro's timezone correctly!

I simply don't have time to adjust all of the photos.

This is a good question for Sony A6000, NEX-5R, and GoPro7 Black support:

Support for ILCE-6000 | Sony USA

Support for NEX-5R | Sony USA

https://community.gopro.com/

May 25, 2020 9:43 PM in response to léonie

The method works great! Thank you!

-------------------------------------------------

I wish Photos app engineers give us a Preference Option to follow ONLY the EXIF time stamps so all photos with or without timezone data can be sorted in the correct order by default. This will save multi-camera users a lot of time and FRUSTRATIONS!

For me, sorting photos in the correct EXIF time sequence is FAR, FAR, FAR more important than time-shifting ONE camera to the correct timezone, completely rearranging and separating that set of photos from all other, forcing people to waste countless hours to search and time-shift photos in order to display photos in the correct sequence just doesn't make sense!

Mac Photos changes time and time zones taken by Sony & GoPro cameras so pictures are out of order!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.