Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dates for Image Capture incorrect

I import 360 video from my GoPro MAX into my M1 MAC Mini for editing. I have been doing this for a year without an issue. I recently updated the OS to Venture and now when I connect the GoPro and go to Image Capture it shows the File date as 31 DEC 1969. If i connect the camera to a windows machine the dates display correctly. If I put the SD card in a card reader and go to Image Capture the File Date is displayed correctly. What is wrong?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 17, 2022 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 5:27 AM

I have the same problem after upgrading from Monterey to Ventura on my iMac M1.

A small hint for the developers of the Image Capture App:

The GoPro Camera uses the MTP protocol to transfer Videos and is not advertising a virtual drive. It seems that it is not a general problem with the Image Capture App, but a problem in handling the MTP protocol because using Image Capture with an ordinary SD card reader doesn't have this problem.

Also to narrow it down to a problem in Mac OS it would be fine to hear from users with other devices than GoPro who also need to connect their devices with MTP protocol.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2022 5:27 AM in response to RDPERREAULT

I have the same problem after upgrading from Monterey to Ventura on my iMac M1.

A small hint for the developers of the Image Capture App:

The GoPro Camera uses the MTP protocol to transfer Videos and is not advertising a virtual drive. It seems that it is not a general problem with the Image Capture App, but a problem in handling the MTP protocol because using Image Capture with an ordinary SD card reader doesn't have this problem.

Also to narrow it down to a problem in Mac OS it would be fine to hear from users with other devices than GoPro who also need to connect their devices with MTP protocol.

Nov 20, 2022 3:11 PM in response to RDPERREAULT

Hey there RDPERREAULT,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We're happy to provide some assistance.

Make sure any software updates for your device is update. This may resolve unexpected issues. Also, you can adjust the date or time for a photo through the Photos app by following these steps:

Add titles, captions, and more to photos using Photos on Mac

"Change a photo’s date and time

You can change the date and time associated with a photo—for example, if you travel to another time zone, and your camera assigns dates and times that are correct for your home, but not the place you visited.

1. In the Photos app  on your Mac, select the photos you want to change.
    2. Choose Image > Adjust Date and Time.
    3. Tip: You can also double-click the date that appears in the Info window to change the date. To show a photo’s Info window, double-click the photo, then click the Info button in the toolbar. 
    4. Enter the date and time you want in the Adjusted field.
    5. Click a time zone on the map and choose the closest city, if necessary.
    6. Click Adjust."

Have a great day!

Nov 21, 2022 2:52 PM in response to Rob_H1

I can force the change of information (dates)with terminal, but I shouldn’t have to. There is an issue the OS Ventura talking to the GoPro. I reverted back to previous version of MAC OS and connected the camera to the machine and opened Image Capture and the file information reflects the correct date and time.

Does anyone else have a GoPro Hero 9 or GoPro Max that they can connect the camera to the computer running MAC OS Ventura via USB C and then open Image Capture. Are the dates of the files correct or do they display 31 DEC 1969?

Mar 15, 2023 10:56 AM in response to MikyC

I've been seeing the same thing with my HERO 8 since upgrading to Ventura and wrote about it here. Basically, Image Capture shows the epoch date (Dec 31, 1969) in the UI and when you download the video files to your computer the Modified Date shows that date and the Created Date shows the import date. Unfortunately this is a bug and there is no solution unless Apple or GoPro fixes this issue on their end.

In the interim, the workarounds would be to import directly from the mini-SD card or use an app to recover/fix the original recording dates. Plugging my Mac app that was created expressly for this scenario: Insta Date Fixer 360 if anyone wants to give it a try.

Feb 24, 2023 10:29 PM in response to RDPERREAULT

Report the problem with reading the date correctly when downloading directly from the camera also to the manufacturer of the camera. The software of the camera may need updating to be compatible with Ventura.

It is safer anyway to put the card into a card reader when downloading photos, so the software of the camera cannot interfere. For example, if the photo has been taken in a different timezone than the camera clock is currently set to, you may get different capture dates when downloading directly from the camera than when using a card reader.

Mar 1, 2023 7:05 AM in response to RDPERREAULT

I have a Black 7 and the issue started after the update noted. It is now March 2023 and both GoPro and Apple do not seem to care that there is something wrong with an interface that used to work seamlessly. After I retired I threw away anything PC an converted to Apple - MacPro, iWatch, iPad, iPhone, etc. Until now, Apple has been far superior to the PC and Android world. Question: Is Apple starting to act like Microsoft??

Dates for Image Capture incorrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.