Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music recently purchased not showing on PC in the Itunes media/music folder

I can purchase and download music with no problem. It shows up in 'recently downloaded" area of Itunes. I can add it to a playlist (that I create) on both the Itunes app as well as my Ipod (160gig classic). The problem is that this music is not showing up in the "C\:music\Itunes\Itunes media\music folder using MS file explorer. Older music I have purchased is there. But not newer albums. I would like to move some of these albums to a Brennan B2. But, cannot due to this issue.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 10, 2020 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 2:19 AM

It's possible that an update to iTunes has caused iTunes to create an additional media folder, into which iTunes is adding the files.

Right-click the song in your iTunes Library and select Show in Windows Explorer from the pop-up menu. This will open up a Windows folder where the song is located and you will be able to see that location in the top bar of the window.

There are four methods in iTunes for finding the location of a song:

• Right-click / Show in Windows Explorer
    • File / Show in Windows Explorer
    • CTRL+Shift+R
    • Edit / Song Info / File > location

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 2:19 AM in response to rickhal

It's possible that an update to iTunes has caused iTunes to create an additional media folder, into which iTunes is adding the files.

Right-click the song in your iTunes Library and select Show in Windows Explorer from the pop-up menu. This will open up a Windows folder where the song is located and you will be able to see that location in the top bar of the window.

There are four methods in iTunes for finding the location of a song:

• Right-click / Show in Windows Explorer
    • File / Show in Windows Explorer
    • CTRL+Shift+R
    • Edit / Song Info / File > location

May 12, 2020 2:18 AM in response to rickhal

I'm aware of that phenomenon (to use a polite term).

iTunes' favourite trick appears to be creating Previous iTunes Libraries folders and sticking stuff in there for no apparent reason. When I moved my Library to a Windows 10 laptop, I discovered that Podcasts were being downloaded into - wait for it:

Music / iTunes / iTunes Previous Libraries / iTunes Previous Libraries / iTunes Previous Libraries / iTunes Media / Podcasts

I also have yet another "previous libraries" folder and at least two more folders for Podcasts. Every folder has its share of .itl and .tmp files, all for inexplicable reasons.

And this is before we let the machines take over! Who writes this computer code?

Music recently purchased not showing on PC in the Itunes media/music folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.