Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Album Folders are empty in Explorer but all music present in iTunes

If I use Explorer to view my songs - \Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Coldplay\X&Y

There are no songs in the folder "The folder is empty".

However if I go into iTunes the album and all songs are present.

I have checked under iTunes preferences and the iTunes Media location is \Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\

Cannot work out how to locate the songs. Ideally I want to backup a copy of all songs onto an external hard drive.

Thanks

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 11:47 AM

The first question is; does that song play?

• If it doesn't, it means that the file for that song is no longer where it used to be when you added it to your iTunes Library and perhaps the empty folder explains that
  • if it does play, that suggests that the folder you're looking in is not in use and it is not where the file is located

If the song plays, right-click the song in your iTunes Library and select Show In Windows Explorer:

That will open the folder with the song it it.

Another method is to select from that same menu, Song Info and then look on the File tab for the location:

If the song doesn't play, let us know and we can address that issue.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2020 11:47 AM in response to bhoy80

The first question is; does that song play?

• If it doesn't, it means that the file for that song is no longer where it used to be when you added it to your iTunes Library and perhaps the empty folder explains that
  • if it does play, that suggests that the folder you're looking in is not in use and it is not where the file is located

If the song plays, right-click the song in your iTunes Library and select Show In Windows Explorer:

That will open the folder with the song it it.

Another method is to select from that same menu, Song Info and then look on the File tab for the location:

If the song doesn't play, let us know and we can address that issue.

Album Folders are empty in Explorer but all music present in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.