Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive missing from finder, only showing on Desktop! Mac Book Pro 2019 Catalina

Hello,

I have a very frustrating problem which is costing lots of time to my work flow. Working on Mac Pro Catalina system.

I always use the short cut for my external hard drives from the finder window and it is not showing lately. It is on the desktop but this is not any good for transfers or even Lightroom imports, it is not showing on these pop up windows. I have had this problem for months and pulling my hair out only finding the same answers, but I have done them already and they do not apply.

My disk is showing as mounted in DisK Utility and I also ran the first aid it was fine.

I have also checked the preferences in finder and ex.hard drive box is ticked?!?

Really confused. If anyone could help that would be amazing because I am currently having to drag GB's of photos to edit and transfer from my hard drive to desktop and my laptop is brand new but only has so much space!!

Posted on May 11, 2020 3:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 4:15 AM

tinkerbell8119 wrote:

Hello,
I have a very frustrating problem which is costing lots of time to my work flow. Working on Mac Pro Catalina system.
I always use the short cut for my external hard drives from the finder window and it is not showing lately. It is on the desktop but this is not any good for transfers or even Lightroom imports, it is not showing on these pop up windows. I have had this problem for months and pulling my hair out only finding the same answers, but I have done them already and they do not apply.
My disk is showing as mounted in DisK Utility and I also ran the first aid it was fine.
I have also checked the preferences in finder and ex.hard drive box is ticked?!?
Really confused. If anyone could help that would be amazing because I am currently having to drag GB's of photos to edit and transfer from my hard drive to desktop and my laptop is brand new but only has so much space!!

Finder>Preferences>Sidebar>Locations>External Disk

If no luck try relaunching the Finder.

>Force quit>Finder> Relaunch

if still no luck it could be a corrupt plist

Could be corrupt plist, delete the com.apple.finder.plist

Found here Finder>Go>Go to Folder

copy and paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

delete the com.apple.finder.plist

Relaunch your Finder from the >Finder>Force Quit>Finder>Relaunch

or reboot

See and organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple ...

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 4:15 AM in response to tinkerbell8119

tinkerbell8119 wrote:

Hello,

Finder>Preferences>Sidebar>Locations>External Disk

If no luck try relaunching the Finder.

>Force quit>Finder> Relaunch

if still no luck it could be a corrupt plist

Could be corrupt plist, delete the com.apple.finder.plist

Found here Finder>Go>Go to Folder

copy and paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

delete the com.apple.finder.plist

Relaunch your Finder from the >Finder>Force Quit>Finder>Relaunch

or reboot

See and organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple ...

External hard drive missing from finder, only showing on Desktop! Mac Book Pro 2019 Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.