Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Student Discount and reselling

Hello,

I am looking to buy a MacBook Pro for university next year. I am aware of the student discounts Apple gives, but I'm not signed up yet for the university, therefore I do not qualify for the discount atm. My brother however is already signed up in the university. I wonder if it's possible and legal for him to buy the MacBook and 'gift' it to me. And if so, I wonder if the MacBook will forever be linked to his student account, or will I be able to fully register the product on my name, as if I bought it?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook

Posted on May 11, 2020 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 1:31 PM

Apple reserves the right to have you demonstrate your Education connection to buy at education pricing. A copy of your enrollment letter or an unambiguous <yourname>.edu email will usually suffice.

5 replies

May 11, 2020 4:47 AM in response to driesv123

driesv123 wrote:

Hello,
I am looking to buy a MacBook Pro for university next year. I am aware of the student discounts Apple gives, but I'm not signed up yet for the university, therefore I do not qualify for the discount atm.

My brother however is already signed up in the university. I wonder if it's possible and legal for him to buy the MacBook and 'gift' it to me. And if so, I wonder if the MacBook will forever be linked to his student account, or will I be able to fully register the product on my name, as if I bought it?
Thanks in advance.

t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶q̶u̶a̶l̶i̶f̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶m̶.̶ ̶

Buy it in your name—

All you have to do is use the education link to get your discount:

https://www.apple.com/us/shop/goto/educationrouting

May 11, 2020 5:06 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for the reply, but could you give some more explanation? It's weird that I can just buy it from that link with discount, since I have never confirmed that I really am a student. How does Apple verify this? Can't everybody just use this link than? Technically I'm not a student yet, so it'd be the same as if an 80 year old grandpa would order a MacBook with the education link. In my opinion, that's not supposed to happen. To be clear: I don't have a student email or anything like that. University doesn't even know who I am.

May 11, 2020 5:05 AM in response to driesv123

driesv123 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but could you give some more explanation? It's weird that I can just buy it from that link with discount, since I have never confirmed that I really am a student. How does Apple verify this? Can't everybody just use this link than? Technically I'm not a student yet, so it'd be the same as if an 80 year old grandpa would order a MacBook with the education link. In my opinion, that's not supposed to happen. To be clear: I don't have a student email or anything like that. University doesn't even know who I am.

Apple does not verify the use of the link— it is on the honor system.

May 11, 2020 5:52 AM in response to leroydouglas

Excuse this question, but isn't that a really dangerous move? Because everybody could just use the education link, even if they're not in school. I just contacted somebody from Apple support and they said that after the purchase, you will have to proof that you are studying. And when the information of the proof doesn't match the information of the person who made the purchase, they will cancel the purchase. I'm just very confused at this point about what I'm allowed to do and what not. I noticed you live in the UK, I live in Belgium, is it possible that the regulation is different here? Or could you provide me with a link/document with the official info from Apple on this subject?

Thanks a lot.

Dries

Student Discount and reselling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.