Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set a default email address for recipients using my iPhone X (iOS 13.4.1) or iPad Pro (iPadOS 13.4.1)

I have contacts with multiple email addresses. I need 1 of the addresses to be their default address while keeping the 2nd an 3rd email addresses available when needed. Right now the 2nd email address is the one coming up when I prepare emails. How do I change this to default to the one email address I use most of the time? The problem is with individual contacts with multiple emails (this is not a group mail issue). I should be able to identify a default email that the mail program uses. It does not use the first in the list nor is there a way I am aware of to identify default email address. I read one solution is within Contacts, edit the contact and re-arrange their email addresses, so they are in the desired order, i.e., the primary email you want to use is first. That doesn’t work either. Thank you!

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on May 11, 2020 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 8:35 AM

Hi RooASP, 

Thank you for your response. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be constantly having to change an email address. At this present time there is not a feature within the Mail app to select a default email address for a particular contact. I cannot speak to future updates or feature releases but I would recommend providing Apple Feedback so we can work on improving future releases of Mail.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities, 

Take care

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2020 8:35 AM in response to RooASP

Hi RooASP, 

Thank you for your response. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be constantly having to change an email address. At this present time there is not a feature within the Mail app to select a default email address for a particular contact. I cannot speak to future updates or feature releases but I would recommend providing Apple Feedback so we can work on improving future releases of Mail.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities, 

Take care

May 12, 2020 9:48 AM in response to MoonJ.

Thank you for your reply, but I am not trying to delete email addresses nor am I changing Siri preferences. And Mac mail is not learning which email to use as the default for recipients who have several email addresses.

Here's the situation: Let's say I am sending an email to John Doe who has 3 email addresses in my Contacts card for him. When I draft an email to John Doe on my iPad and iPhone the Mail app selects the 3rd email address. I want the Mail app to select the first email address. Since it selects the 3rd email address I have to click the right arrow and then select the address I use 99% of the time. I have tried resorting the email addresses in John Doe's contact card and nothing changes. Would Apple place a box next to each email address so users can select the default email address we want the Mail app to use?

May 12, 2020 8:07 AM in response to RooASP

Hi RooASP,

I understand you are having an issue in regards to a contact having multiple email addresses and trying to identify one email address as the default. Mac mail is always learning based off your email habits and gives you suggestions based off of those patterns.

Here are a couple resources that you can take a look at related to your issue:

Delete email addresses in Mail on Mac

Change Siri preferences on Mac

Specifically,

"Siri Suggestions & Privacy - Choose the apps that Siri can learn from and make suggestions in."

Take care

How do I set a default email address for recipients using my iPhone X (iOS 13.4.1) or iPad Pro (iPadOS 13.4.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.