Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera not detected on 13-inch late 2016 MacBook Pro

Hi, since the last update of Catalina (10.15.4) appeared on the list of the updates that can be installed, the camera of my macbook isn't detected. At first I couldn't even update the OS, but the camera worked when the Mac restarted after trying to install the update (but the update failed).

After cleaning some cache files I could install the update, but the camera doesn't work at all.

I followed these two tutorials: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063 and https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 but they weren't unfortunately useful.

On the Camera tab of System Information I see "No video capture devices were found.".

Can you please help me?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on May 11, 2020 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2020 9:21 AM

Make sure to reboot the laptop. I would even try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for a full minute so it activates several times).

Then check the Apple System Profiler to see if the camera is physically seen by the system. To access the System Profiler Option-click on the Apple menu and select the first option (System Information?). There should be an entry for "Camera" on the left pane and the details should show in the right pane when you select "Camera" in the left pane.

Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If we don't see any software issues, then you need to try reinstalling macOS over top of itself. A more drastic test would be to backup your system and perform a clean install of macOS by erasing the physical drive before reinstalling macOS. Test the system before restoring or migrating from a backup & before installing any third party apps. If the camera doesn't work with a clean install, then you have a hardware issue that will need to be repaired by Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2020 9:21 AM in response to Ryuzaki33

Make sure to reboot the laptop. I would even try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for a full minute so it activates several times).

Then check the Apple System Profiler to see if the camera is physically seen by the system. To access the System Profiler Option-click on the Apple menu and select the first option (System Information?). There should be an entry for "Camera" on the left pane and the details should show in the right pane when you select "Camera" in the left pane.

Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If we don't see any software issues, then you need to try reinstalling macOS over top of itself. A more drastic test would be to backup your system and perform a clean install of macOS by erasing the physical drive before reinstalling macOS. Test the system before restoring or migrating from a backup & before installing any third party apps. If the camera doesn't work with a clean install, then you have a hardware issue that will need to be repaired by Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

Jun 2, 2020 12:05 PM in response to Ryuzaki33

I don't see anything in the report that would cause a problem with the camera. Since you've installed the 10.15.5 and if you performed the SMC reset, then it looks like a hardware issue especially if the camera details are not shown in the System Profiler. You will need to make arrangements with Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for the repair. In some regions it may be possible to mail the laptop to Apple for the repair. Click on the "Contact Support" link at the top right of this page for your options.

Jun 3, 2020 4:57 AM in response to HWTech

As I said in the first post, I already tried the SMC reset and in the system profiler there's the "No video capture devices were found." message. As soon as I buy a new external hard drive, I'll try to make a Time machine backup and to reinstall a clean version of macOS, as you suggested before. If that won't work I'll bring the laptop to an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Thank you for the help!

Camera not detected on 13-inch late 2016 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.