Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netflix on ios 5.1.1

I have two ipads running ios 5.1.1 and on one of them I have Netflix. Fully working the other one I tried to install Netflix but it seems not to work.

The trick used to be that I go to already purchased apps and then download it. It would then ask me if i wanted to download an older version compatible with ios 5.1.1. And usually it works fine.

I tried today 11.05.2020 and it doesnt work anymore. I have tried asking netflix but they still support the netflix app on ios 5.1.1

Posted on May 11, 2020 9:19 AM

6 replies

May 11, 2020 10:44 AM in response to Jamesd49

Well there are a few questions. The main question is why I couldn´t download it. The second is what to do to solve the problem.

I will contakt Netflix again since they then probably missunderstood my question, their answer was that they support 5.1.1 netflix app. So I thought Apple removed the ability to download it not Netflix. Now I guess I know better =) But that won´t help me solve the problem.

So 2 questions stil remains:

1. Can I somehow transfer the working netflix 5.1.1 between my ipads to get it to work on both?
  2. Where can I get the file to install and how to do it? Jailbreaking?

May 11, 2020 1:03 PM in response to greger147

1. In theory yes. You can get an older version of iTunes (11 or earlier) that supports the transfer of Apps from the iPad, and transfer the app out fo the iPad that has it onto iTunes on a computer, by transferring purchases. Then use iTunes to sync the App onto the iPad that does not have it.
  2. Jailbreaking is not required.

The hard part is finding an old version of iTunes that can get the app, and will run on a current computer.

May 11, 2020 9:25 AM in response to greger147

Netflix has removed the older versions compatible with older devices from the App store. Yes, in the past that used to be an option, but as it depends on the App developers maintaing the older versions in the store its not something to rely on.

While they continue to support the already installed apps, they no longer offer a way to install them.

May 11, 2020 10:55 AM in response to greger147

You won't be able to download it, I see no reason why Apple or Netflix would bring back a version of the App for old devices, when old devices will struggle using the app. It would just be a waste of money, when they are optimising the app for new technology and devices.

1 - No you can't

2 - You can't get the file. Jailbreaking is not discussed on this comment as it is not recommended practice

Thanks

May 11, 2020 1:10 PM in response to greger147

These old iPad 1, 2, 3, 4 and 1st gen iPad Mini models are nearing 8, 9 and 10-years old, now!

As of the beginning of 2019, many, MANY third party app developers are all more quickly and completely permanently dropping older app support for all old 7, 8 and 9-year iPads that are running 2-3 year old and earlier iOS versions ( iOS 10 and earlier ).

Third party app developers are removing all of their older, legacy versions of their apps from Apple's App Store servers, now.

Third party app developers no longer want to support these 8 and 9-year old or older iOS devices, any longer!

Older versions of apps are, soon, going to be gone for good, now!

Getting older versions of apps for these old iPad models, initially from Apple’s iOS App Store is getting very difficult and very problematic and this issue is getting, painfully, much worse in 2020, now!

These old iPads are now reaching their complete end of life and support.

So finding older versions apps for older iPads, while still possible, currently, will be a tough challenge, now, in 2020.

Old iPads that can no longer be upgraded/updated will have NO MORE APPS AVAILABLE for initial download, at all, soon, from the Apple iOS App Store, for such old iOS devices in the very near future.

Older versions of apps for these older iPads will be completely gone, at some point, in the very foreseeable future.

These 8-10-year old iPads will be completely obsolete by year’s end!

Again, it is what it is, today, in the year 2020!

So, this is really now the time to seriously consider a new or discounted, refurbished iPad from Apple or other Apple authorised resellers.

A lot has happened with iPad and iOS in 7-9 years and in the past 2 to 3-1/2 years since iOS 9 and 10.

As an example and compared to the technology in these 8, 9 and 10-year old iPad models,

The cheapest, baseline 2019, 10.2 inch screen 7th gen Apple iPads have a 1/2 inch larger retina screen, newer, more powerful and nearly 2-1/2 times faster 2.3 Ghz, A10 Fusion processors, AT LEAST, 3-4 times the internal RAM, with the 2019, 7th gen iPad having 3 GBs of internal RAM, iPadOS 13 support, with much better and improved multitasking features, Apple Pencil and Apple Smart keyboard cover support and have better audio speakers and better/improved built-in cameras.

In addition, if you search online and look at various, reputable online Apple device resellers, you can usually find this 2019, 7th gen iPad at discounts of between $60 U.S.D and $100 U.S.D. depending on storage size and whether it is a WiFi ONLY model or a WiFi/cellular data model.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Netflix on ios 5.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.