Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect an external SSD to an 2015 iMac

Hi

After a fairly recent motherboard replacement in March by Apple, I am still getting differing speeds using an external SSD (via USB3). Last month it was checked again by a third party Apple approved repairer and they said it was a software fault. I am currently using Catalina and High Sierra on a dual boot, tested on both yesterday and an SSD usually with read and write speeds of approx 420Mbps each was down to 40Mbps on both OS.

The Crucial SSD I was using is just a few weeks old, and less than 50% full.

Options are:

1 - To plug the bus powered external SSD case directly into the back of my iMac

2 - Plug into a powered USB hub

3 - Plug into a powered external SSD / HDD dock and plug directly in to the back of my iMac

4 - No 3 but plugged into powered USB hub

Thanks

Matt

iMac 27", macOS 10.12

Posted on May 11, 2020 10:43 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

May 11, 2020 11:41 AM in response to AppleMacCider

Well that is likely the problem it is BUS powered so the device is likely not getting enough power. If the enclosure cannot be upgraded to have an external power supply you will need to start over. One solution may be removing the SSD and putting the SSD in an enclosure that can have it's own power supply. One like: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-mercury-elite-pro-mini (NOTE: The enclosure does not come with the power supply so you will need to add one, OWC can help you get the correct one).

How to connect an external SSD to an 2015 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.