Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resting energy iwatch 5 / health app

Resting energy in my app is different every day and it changes during a day. One hour its greater than other. Should’t it be my BMR? I have a feeling it overestimates compering to different calculators I used. What is the formula apple uses? All my data is up to date (weight height etc.)

Apple Watch

Posted on May 11, 2020 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 11:14 AM

Resting calories are a generality in apps. Resting calories vary with composition. Fat burns less calories than lean tissue, lean tissue burns more than fat tissue.

Resting calories of people with identical weight would be higher for the person with less body fat.

Apple’s concept of “resting energy” does not correspond strictly to standard BMR the “resting energy” calories isn’t meant to be BMR but is based on the “non-workout” activity we do on a given day

Based on apples description of what resting energy is in the health app, it sounds like it is not traditional BMR, it sounds like they are just estimating non high activity calories burned based on heart rate. So this would be any activity not strenuous enough for Apple Watch to classify it as active heart rate. So I believe it varies if you are standing vs sitting. But again, just a guess based on the way the health app describes resting energy.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 11:14 AM in response to Pepesza

Resting calories are a generality in apps. Resting calories vary with composition. Fat burns less calories than lean tissue, lean tissue burns more than fat tissue.

Resting calories of people with identical weight would be higher for the person with less body fat.

Apple’s concept of “resting energy” does not correspond strictly to standard BMR the “resting energy” calories isn’t meant to be BMR but is based on the “non-workout” activity we do on a given day

Based on apples description of what resting energy is in the health app, it sounds like it is not traditional BMR, it sounds like they are just estimating non high activity calories burned based on heart rate. So this would be any activity not strenuous enough for Apple Watch to classify it as active heart rate. So I believe it varies if you are standing vs sitting. But again, just a guess based on the way the health app describes resting energy.

Resting energy iwatch 5 / health app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.