Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a macbook pro 2015 and need more usb b ports. And have 2 thunderbolt 2 ports, help!

Where can I find a thunderbolt 2 port adapter or dongle that will give me more usb b ports to plug in my keyboard and mouse?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 11, 2020 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 12:17 PM

Easy!! Let me help you with that question, aprilshowersabc.

Yes, a lack of ports is definitely a problem on the most recent MacBooks and MacBooks Pro. As in, there are two, apart from the charging port and maybe the headphone jack. You'd need a Thunderbolt 3 -2 adapter from Apple, which is suppored to be bi-directional, eg it'll do Thunderbolt 3 to 2 and 2 to 3. From there you should be able to buy and use a USB-C dock which should give you lots of ports. Make sure it's one of those with an external power adapter. if you just wanted more usb ports, you could get a usb 3 hub with 4-7 usb ports on it. it too should use an external power adapter. self powered hubs and docks might work , but certain USB devices may require more power which your MacBook Pro might not be able to deliver on its own, hence the need for that device to be connected to an external power adapter.

hope this helps you

John B

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 12:17 PM in response to aprilshowersabc

Easy!! Let me help you with that question, aprilshowersabc.

Yes, a lack of ports is definitely a problem on the most recent MacBooks and MacBooks Pro. As in, there are two, apart from the charging port and maybe the headphone jack. You'd need a Thunderbolt 3 -2 adapter from Apple, which is suppored to be bi-directional, eg it'll do Thunderbolt 3 to 2 and 2 to 3. From there you should be able to buy and use a USB-C dock which should give you lots of ports. Make sure it's one of those with an external power adapter. if you just wanted more usb ports, you could get a usb 3 hub with 4-7 usb ports on it. it too should use an external power adapter. self powered hubs and docks might work , but certain USB devices may require more power which your MacBook Pro might not be able to deliver on its own, hence the need for that device to be connected to an external power adapter.

hope this helps you

John B

May 11, 2020 2:47 PM in response to aprilshowersabc

Can you clarify exactly what you have? A 2015 MacBook Pro already has two USB 3 port on it. Why not just use those?

A 2015 MacBook Pro has Thunderbolt 2 ports. Those are not going to work with any USB-C hubs. Don't bother with any adapters. Thunderbolt 2 ports won't ever work with a Thunderbolt 2-3 adapter in most cases. There are a few Thunderbolt 2 docks, but they are hard to find and will cost a few hundred dollars.

Unless there is some new information, all you need is a generic USB 3.0 hub. Plug that into one of your USB ports. A keyboard and mouse will work fine with that.

I have a macbook pro 2015 and need more usb b ports. And have 2 thunderbolt 2 ports, help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.