Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot add Company Name (only) in iPhone Contacts

When I add a "company" (with no First/Last name associated) it does [not] show up in my contacts.

I am adding directly into my iPhone 6s+. Immediately after I add it, I try to search for it and can't find it. I have several of these "Company Only" contacts, and none of them show up!

On my MacBook Pro, when you add a Company Name, there is a small "check box" under the name where you can indicate that it's a business, and I guess it forces the contact to who up in a search by the business name. There is nothing like that on my iPhone...and it's killing me!

Anyone know what's going on?

iPhone 6s Plus

Posted on May 11, 2020 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2020 12:19 PM

Hello bobgriner, 

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. From your message it sounds like when you add a company in Contacts on your iPhone they are not appearing when searching for them. I tested out searching for some of the businesses that I have in Contacts on my iPhone XS Max running iOS 13.4.1, and was able to have them come up in a search.

Let's begin by checking to see if you have any Groups selected. To do this go to Contacts > Groups (top left corner). There you will see any accounts that you're using with Contacts. For instance I have my contacts in iCloud, and then I have some additional groups I've created under it. Be sure that you have all the groups selected so all are being included in the search. 

If you have more than one account you use with Contacts, check to see what is set up as your default. Go to Settings > Contacts > Default Account. If you go to Settings > Contacts and do not see a Default Account option, you are only using one account with Contacts. This article will give you more information about contact accounts on your iPhone: Use other contact accounts on iPhone

If you're still not able to find them in a search, and you haven't already done so, Restart your iPhone. Often restarting can resolve unexpected behavior.

All the best.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2020 12:19 PM in response to bobgriner

Hello bobgriner, 

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. From your message it sounds like when you add a company in Contacts on your iPhone they are not appearing when searching for them. I tested out searching for some of the businesses that I have in Contacts on my iPhone XS Max running iOS 13.4.1, and was able to have them come up in a search.

Let's begin by checking to see if you have any Groups selected. To do this go to Contacts > Groups (top left corner). There you will see any accounts that you're using with Contacts. For instance I have my contacts in iCloud, and then I have some additional groups I've created under it. Be sure that you have all the groups selected so all are being included in the search. 

If you have more than one account you use with Contacts, check to see what is set up as your default. Go to Settings > Contacts > Default Account. If you go to Settings > Contacts and do not see a Default Account option, you are only using one account with Contacts. This article will give you more information about contact accounts on your iPhone: Use other contact accounts on iPhone

If you're still not able to find them in a search, and you haven't already done so, Restart your iPhone. Often restarting can resolve unexpected behavior.

All the best.

May 13, 2020 6:05 AM in response to sterling r

That's it exactly. My Google/Gmail Contacts and my iCloud both show up as a "group," and the iCloud was the default. Which doesn't explain why the added contact wasn't showing up. My iCloud is supposed to sync with my Gmail contacts.

I hate that my "default" account for Contacts on my iPhone was not "check off." I want to blame it on the phone during setup, but I probably did it somehow/sometime down the road. :/

Cannot add Company Name (only) in iPhone Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.