Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firmware password - New logic board bought off eBay

Hi everyone,

As a quarantine project I decided to reinvigorate my old late 2010 11 inch Macbook Air.

2GB of ram isn't really good enough for today's tasks, so I found a new logic board on eBay and swapped them out.

However, I when I turn on the computer I am now greeted with the firmware padlock screen.

I have never knowingly activated a firmware lock, so I have a question for you.

Is the firmware lock tied to the new logic board? Or is it tied to the SSD?

If it is tied to the logic board then I will go back to the eBay seller. If it is tied to the SSD then maybe I did activate it at some point.

If the seller doesn't know then I'm hoping Apple might help. I have proof of purchase for all items so would be frustrating if I couldn't get past the lock.

Thanks.

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 12, 2020 1:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 7:08 PM

talin3 wrote:

Logic board.

I have proof of purchase for all items so would be frustrating if I couldn't get past the lock.

Apple will not be able to help since they require your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase. An eBay invoice probably won't meet their requirements.

Return it to the seller.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2020 7:08 PM in response to talin3

talin3 wrote:

Logic board.

I have proof of purchase for all items so would be frustrating if I couldn't get past the lock.

Apple will not be able to help since they require your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase. An eBay invoice probably won't meet their requirements.

Return it to the seller.

Firmware password - New logic board bought off eBay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.