Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upload into icloud stalls at the end

I cannot share new documents in pages although with old ones it is possible, I think the reason is, that the upload into icloud never gets completed.

in the end it's always: "5,4 MB of 5,4 MB are being uploaded"with the blue line altmost at the end but then it stops until I do get a failure message

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 12, 2020 4:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2020 10:32 AM

Try going to System Preferences/iCloud (Apple ID for Catalina) and stop iCloud Drive syncing by unchecking the box. Wait a couple of minutes, then check syncing. Allow time for the sync to complete.

Last resort  - have you tried signing out of iCloud and then sign back in?

9 replies

May 13, 2020 5:53 AM in response to spiriou

Hello spiriou,

I understand you're having some trouble sending new documents through pages. Hopefully I can provide some helpful resources.

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

Steps 1-3 are to ensure your Mac is up to date on macOS, make sure you're signed into iCloud and to get iCloud set up on all your other devices. Next you want to make sure System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > iCloud Drive is enabled. Next to iCloud Drive, click options, and then make sure 'Desktop and Documents Folders' is enabled.

If these conditions are met and you are still having iCloud Drive access issues, Contact Apple Support.

This may be helpful for creating a backup - Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

May 13, 2020 2:47 PM in response to spiriou

Hi spiriou,

You mentioned that you're trying to collaborate on a document with someone else. Another helpful resource can be found in this link below.

About collaboration for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote

Invite people from iCloud.com

Sign in to iCloud.com with your Apple ID, then open Pages, Numbers, or Keynote.
Open the document that you want to share.
Tap or click the Collaborate button  in the toolbar.
To set restrictions on who can view and change your document, click Share Options. By default, people that you invite can edit your document.
Choose how you want to invite others to work on your documents. If you have web-only iCloud access, you must copy the link. 
Click Share, then send or post the message. 

Additionally, you can enable a guest user for you Mac or set up a test user for troubleshooting. If your guest or test user is able to log in to iCloud Drive and successfully collaborate, then there may be an account connectivity issue on your primary user account. Follow the steps in the article below to set up a test user for you Mac. The article also includes some next steps for what to do if your issue is fixed or not with a test user.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Best of luck!

May 14, 2020 10:28 AM in response to spiriou

Hi spiriou,

Did you try using a test user account using the steps in the above mentioned article?

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

If the issue happens in the other user account:
Make sure that your software is up to date.
Try using Safe Mode to resolve the issue.
Check for other software or hardware issues.
If you need more help with a software or hardware issue, contact Apple Support. Be sure to mention any steps you've taken, and the results of those steps. Also mention any alerts or other messages you've seen as part of the issue.

If you have confirmed the issue occurs within a test user account, then your next steps would be to Contact Apple Support and mention what steps you've taken to resolve your issue thus far.

Cheers

May 13, 2020 7:04 AM in response to chris_g1

Thx but it's not about using different devices of my own but about sharing a pages document with someone else, so that he/she can collaborate, this works with old documents but not with new ones and while looking for a solution I found out, that the icloud upload always fails although iDrive is enabled and Pages as well.

I'm using icloud for only parts of my data, the rest is just stored on this macbook (and I do create backups of it :)) can that be the reason for this problem although it seems illogical to me?

May 14, 2020 4:00 AM in response to CarlAVII

Hi PsyDye,

thx for you suggestions, problem is, I read all those pages from apple before I asked the comunity.

I now know that the problem is definitely with the connection to icloud. Although I have exactly the same settings as with my imac and iphone (and there everything works and changes are readily available on the other device) the macbook does not finish an upload to icloud, this makes working on one document on different devices impossible as well as sharing a document for collaboration.

(and before anyone asks: in general the internetconnection on the macbook works fine)

May 17, 2020 6:41 AM in response to Eric Root

stopping iCloud Drive syncing did not help - when you do that it wants to sync before stoping and that's what never worked ...

BUT signing out and back in of iCloud worked!

thanks a lot for that idea :)) (strangely I didn't have it myself ...)

although you should also tell people to do a backup beforhand in a situation like this because if I hadn't done that all of my data which was solely on the macbook would have been lost

again, thank you

upload into icloud stalls at the end

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.