Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud upload so slow it is unusable

I purchased an iCloud plan to sync my docs and photos. My docs are uploading at a rate of about 1 GB per day, which would mean I would have to wait more than a month to finish. Any advice?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 8:05 AM

Uploading is dependent on your Internet connection. If you have slow internet you will have slow uploading. Most service providers limit upload speeds. Who is your provider and what are the advertised speeds for you plan?

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 17, 2022 9:20 AM in response to MisterVacuum

Thanks for both your responses. I checked speedtest.net, and while my download speed is fine (90 Mbps), my upload speed is only 0.54 Mbps [Edit: I tested again and got 1 Mbps], which is rather slow, although it should still be possible to upload almost 2 GB per hour.

I read elsewhere that one aspect to consider is throttling on Apple's side:

Extreme slow upload on iCloud - Apple Community

So, perhaps throttling and slow upload speed combine to create this issue. Although I don't fully understand.

Someone else mentioned things to try like resetting PRAM:

iCloud extremely slow on superfast network - Apple Community

Anyway, things have gotten slightly better. It looks like about 2 GB uploaded over the last 12 hours. My iCloud Drive upload is now at about 4.5 GB out of 30 GB. So, perhaps I will only have to wait about a week, although it seems like an unfortunate use of electricity to keep my computer on 24/7 for a week for something that should be faster.

Sep 17, 2022 1:07 PM in response to MisterVacuum

No, there is NO throttling algorithm. It’s your ISP on the internet, period. Why you would instantly blame Apple and accuse them of intentionally slowing things down is strange. You just got through telling us your speed test results were varied and unstable.

My internet service gives me 20mbps upload consistently and my iCloud uploads are always fast

Sep 17, 2022 2:01 PM in response to MisterVacuum

My reasoning was based on an assessment of other people's reports and explanations such as those linked to above, which involved people who claimed to have steady high-speed internet. And I didn't blame Apple. I asked a question, using a question mark: "Perhaps there's some kind of throttling algorithm that took effect?" Not sure what the confusion was. But thanks for your help.

iCloud upload so slow it is unusable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.