Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad

Hello,

I want to add cellular data to my ipad, but I bought with only access to WiFi. Would I have to buy a whole new iPad in order to get cellular data?

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 12, 2020 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2020 10:38 AM

Cellular capability cannot be added after purchase - a WiFi Only iPad is always a WiFi Only iPad.

You have two alternatives to buying a new iPad.

1) If you have an iPhone (or other mobile phone), subject to support by your chosen Cellular carrier, you can use the WiFi hotspot feature.

2) You could use a cellular broadband router (sometimes known as a MiFi router) to create a WiFi hotspot. You just need a router (often sold by cellular carriers along with an airtime contract) and many retailers (e.g., Amazon).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2020 10:38 AM in response to vcheyenne1

Cellular capability cannot be added after purchase - a WiFi Only iPad is always a WiFi Only iPad.

You have two alternatives to buying a new iPad.

1) If you have an iPhone (or other mobile phone), subject to support by your chosen Cellular carrier, you can use the WiFi hotspot feature.

2) You could use a cellular broadband router (sometimes known as a MiFi router) to create a WiFi hotspot. You just need a router (often sold by cellular carriers along with an airtime contract) and many retailers (e.g., Amazon).

iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.