Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri says "You'll need to unlock your iPhone first"

I added hardware to allow Siri commands to open and close my overhead garage door; and everything worked fine until the final test in which I said "Hey Siri, open garage door." To my amazement, Siri replied "You'll need to unlock your iPhone first." WHAT? I'm like, Says Who??? Eventually I did unlock the iPhone and Siri opened the garage door, but honestly, this is unacceptable. Oh, yes, she'll close the door without complaint. I'm using iPhone 7 and iOS 13.4.1. Any suggestions would be most appreciated, thanks!

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on May 12, 2020 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2020 2:23 PM

Thanks for the replies; however I must say that if this problem is a "security feature" then I'd like to point out that I have NEVER left my iPhone lying out in the yard for someone to pick up and use to open the garage door. Seems like a real stretch that I wouldn't notice that I'd lost a $800-1200 device! Also, the doors on my garage are connected to a monitored alarm system to ensure against unauthorized entry. Oh well. So now, I must revert back to using the key fob to open the garage door which, by the way, is all too easy to drop or misplace. So much for labor-saving automation.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2020 2:23 PM in response to jennamarietx

Thanks for the replies; however I must say that if this problem is a "security feature" then I'd like to point out that I have NEVER left my iPhone lying out in the yard for someone to pick up and use to open the garage door. Seems like a real stretch that I wouldn't notice that I'd lost a $800-1200 device! Also, the doors on my garage are connected to a monitored alarm system to ensure against unauthorized entry. Oh well. So now, I must revert back to using the key fob to open the garage door which, by the way, is all too easy to drop or misplace. So much for labor-saving automation.

May 12, 2020 1:26 PM in response to jennamarietx

This is a security feature to prevent someone anonymously opening your home to intruders. If they found your phone and asked it to open the garage door they’d have access to your home. Same applied if you had a HomePod and someone was able to shout from outside your home.

Maybe an option would be using a Apple Watch which is always unlocked if on your wrist. Or try and get into the habit of having your phone unlocked when your ask Siri to open the garage door.

May 31, 2020 2:27 PM in response to jennamarietx

Well, good for you. But not everyone is as thorough as you are. Yes, if you drop the key fob and someone finds it they can break into your garage and possibly your house also. But if some stole your phone or found it and used it to break into your house you might sue Apple. So that’s at least one reason you need to unlock the phone to unlock your house.

Siri says "You'll need to unlock your iPhone first"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.