Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Siri says I need to unlock my iPhone first

Why does Siri tell me to unlock my iPhone first?

******* BEFORE YOU RESPOND *******

iPhone 13 Pro Max 256GB 16.4.1 (a)

yes I have reset my phone

yes I have reset my network connection

yes I have turned Siri off, and back on

yes I have reset Siri

yes I went through retraining my voice

yes I have a valid signal on my phone (I know the iPhone test code, validated RSSI, normally around -70dbm)

yes my Wi-Fi is good (Business SLA and happens where ever I am at)

Siri will still say, "you’ll need to unlock your iPhone first"

Posted on May 19, 2023 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 6:01 PM

i doubt they would have my voice or sound like me, isn’t this the reason why we train it? Apple’s getting a bit ridiculous on this front. Then take away facial recognition as well. It’s like asking my Alexa devices for the weather and Alexa says "oh what’s your secret pin"

4 replies

Dec 1, 2023 5:37 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I don’t know how long you have been using an iPhone but I agree with the OP. I used to be able to send messages while driving with Siri while my phone is locked. But not anymore. I have made adjustments so Siri will read me received messages but I can’t reply while driving. Which is ridiculous.

And you are wrong. I can’t use “hey siri” to activate it on anyone else’s phones nearby. When I am with others that also have iPhones and I say “hey siri”, only MY Siri responds. Heck, even with my iPad right next to my iPhone, Siri defaults to my phone and my iPad Siri instantly goes quiet.

So I don’t understand why you are suggesting otherwise.

May 19, 2023 5:53 PM in response to tadzooks

To run most apps on your phone you need to unlock it. That is a basic security feature; it’s there so someone doesn’t just pick up your phone and run apps. Thus, to run any app that might contain personal data, such as email, messages, notes, etc, the phone must be unlocked. You can ask Siri for the weather, because weather data are not personal. But you can’t ask Siri to read your messages, or show your photos, unless it is unlocked, because if you could ANYONE could; just pick up your phone and say, "Hey Siri, read my messages”, or “Hey Siri, transfer $10,000 from my Apple Cash to John Doe"

May 19, 2023 6:16 PM in response to tadzooks

Siri does not have speaker recognition; it can’t distinguish you from anyone else speaking, except for "Hey Siri". And you don’t train it to recognize you; training is to recognize your accents. And you can also invoke Siri by holding the side button, and that will work for any speaker. Speaker recognition would require hours of training, not 2 minutes.

I don’t see what facial recognition has to do with Siri; FaceID cannot be fooled; it recognizes you, and only you.

Siri says I need to unlock my iPhone first

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.