Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods stuck on 16kHz/ SCO codec

Hey,

currently, my AirPods gen 1, and AirPod Pros are stuck in 16kHz/ SCO codec no matter what I do. I can change mic source to something other than my AirPods, but the problem persists. I can disconnect and reconnect my Bluetooth devices over and over again, the problem persists. I can turn off my Mac, and back on, the problem persists. When I go into Audio Midi set up, and try to change my settings to “2 ch Float (48.0kHz)”, it won’t allow me and it keeps switching back to 16kHz.

This is worst case scenario for me. I’m an Audio Engineer by trade, and this bad quality isn’t going to fly.

Any help/ thoughts/ suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 12, 2020 7:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2020 6:21 AM

Hey,

Thanks for the input. But I actually tried that as well, but it didn't work. BUT! I called and talked to Apple and tried a couple things. I had recently migrated my computer information from an older MacBook Pro, to a new 16", and apparently, carrying over all the same "CACHE" can have some bad outcomes.

We fixed my audio issue by deleting the "CACHE" folders off my computer. Once I did that, restarted my computer, I was back to stereo 48kHZ!

So that was my fix. Hopefully it works for you too.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2020 6:21 AM in response to JohnKH84

Hey,

Thanks for the input. But I actually tried that as well, but it didn't work. BUT! I called and talked to Apple and tried a couple things. I had recently migrated my computer information from an older MacBook Pro, to a new 16", and apparently, carrying over all the same "CACHE" can have some bad outcomes.

We fixed my audio issue by deleting the "CACHE" folders off my computer. Once I did that, restarted my computer, I was back to stereo 48kHZ!

So that was my fix. Hopefully it works for you too.

AirPods stuck on 16kHz/ SCO codec

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.