Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Time Capsule (Bridge Mode) Speed

Hello everyone!

I can't set on bridge mode my ISP modem so I had to do it on my TC. But testing the speed on my ISP modem I get 500Mbps on wi-fi and ethernet. But when testing the speed of my TC I get barely over 80Mbps on wi-fi and ethernet. I could've expected some speed loss over wi-fi but how is it possible for the speed to drop that much when everything is connected by cables? I tried different cables so it's not that (they all work on my ISP modem). Please help, I don't want to get rid of my TC as people in my house are started to get annoyed by the slow speeds and I really love to have my Mac backed up automatically.

Posted on May 13, 2020 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 3:20 PM

Just to clarify .. once the TC is bridged and the WAN is assigned to LAN since it is no longer working as a router, you can plug the ethernet cable from the main router to any LAN port on the TC. And your computer to any other LAN port.

Then ensure your ethernet is actually connecting at gigabit.

Perhaps the easiest way is to open Network Utility.. this might be hidden now so search for it in Finder.

The important part is link speed which is shown as 1 Gbit/s. Send and Receive errors should show as 0.

Hopefully the main router has different colour lights for 100mbps and 1000mbps or an actual GUI table showing the speed of all the ethernet ports..

One of the issues which is fairly rare but does happen is the Airport WAN port can link at 100Mbps which then makes sense of your 80Mbps network speed limit.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2020 3:20 PM in response to seba_opazo

Just to clarify .. once the TC is bridged and the WAN is assigned to LAN since it is no longer working as a router, you can plug the ethernet cable from the main router to any LAN port on the TC. And your computer to any other LAN port.

Then ensure your ethernet is actually connecting at gigabit.

Perhaps the easiest way is to open Network Utility.. this might be hidden now so search for it in Finder.

The important part is link speed which is shown as 1 Gbit/s. Send and Receive errors should show as 0.

Hopefully the main router has different colour lights for 100mbps and 1000mbps or an actual GUI table showing the speed of all the ethernet ports..

One of the issues which is fairly rare but does happen is the Airport WAN port can link at 100Mbps which then makes sense of your 80Mbps network speed limit.

May 13, 2020 10:01 AM in response to seba_opazo

No need to do a factory default reset unless you have the time and inclination.

In Bridge Mode, all ports.....WAN and LAN.....on the Time Capsule become LAN ports. Have you tested other ports on the Time Capsule?

If still no luck, there is not much else that you can do, unless you want to try a shot in the dark and change the setting for IPv6 on the Time Capsule to Link Local Only. Doubt it will make any difference, but you never know.

May 13, 2020 10:23 AM in response to seba_opazo

You should be getting about the same speeds on the Time Capsule that you do on the modem.

For example........my Internet connection plan has a speed of 300 Mbps. The Time Capsule.......which is in Bridge Mode on my network.......checks in at about 290 Mbps on Ethernet and about the same when a WiFi device is near the Time Capsule.

May 13, 2020 1:55 PM in response to seba_opazo

Let's go back to the beginning and make sure that the Time Capsule really is in Bridge Mode, which Apple calls "Off (Bridge Mode)". Is that the case?

Did you try the other Ethernet ports on the Time Capsule? If not, when you do this, power off both your modem and Time Capsule before you change the Ethernet cable location, then start up the modem and let it run for a minute or two. Then, start up the Time Capsule and check the speeds again.

Are you familiar with the IPv6 settings on the Time Capsule? If yes, set the IPv6 setting to Link Local Only. If not, post back to let us know and we will provide the steps.

May 13, 2020 3:48 PM in response to LaPastenague

OMG you guys are awesome!

I was gonna do everything else you told me but first tried changing from the WAN port to one of the LAN ports to provide internet to my TC. It freaking worked! I don't understand why but the WAN port was cutting me at 100Mb just as you told me. Now I'm getting 550Mb on wi-fi and ethernet.

You are the best. Thank you both for taking the time to help me :)

Airport Time Capsule (Bridge Mode) Speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.