Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac limited to 100mbps w/Gigabit Fiber connection

Hello all,

I have had a Verizon FiOS connection for the past 5 years of 150/150. I bypassed the Fios Quantum Gateway G1100 wifi and attached a AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac to serve the wifi. Everything has been working great. We are usually getting connection speeds in the house of around 100mbps on wifi, which I felt was inline with the service we were paying for.

Fast forward to last night. I finally upgraded our FiOS connection to 1GB. Everyone was happy that we upgraded but when I run the speed test on the wifi network, nothing has changed. Still getting around 100/100 to all tested wifi devices.

I know the Time Capsule is capable of serving more than this. I connected hard-wired to the router and am getting around 850/700, so I know the speed upgrade has been done. My next step was to turn on the Verizon wifi and test that. But that leads me to part 2 of my question.

The Time Capsule is old and the HD is likely starting to go bad (have had to recreate backups 2-3x over the past 2 months and am getting constant verification errors), so I think an upgrade of the whole system is warranted. Being out of the market for some time, can anyone make some apple-friendly recommendations for replacing both the wifi and the wireless backup? I do like that feature and would rather not tether HDs to all of our macs.

I have heard good things about Plume but that's about it. I will certainly do some research but wanted to get some opinions of the people on this forum too. Thanks for the help!

RH

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 3:43 PM

The Time Capsule is old and the HD is likely starting to go bad

If the TC is 5years old or more just replace it.. it is not worth messing with.

For gigabit internet you need a powerful router and you may as well look at wifi6 as all the new items you buy will support it.

Asus RT-AX86U is one I would look at.

Asus firmware is really head and shoulders above the average.. and is not hard to learn.

Plus it can support Time Machine to a USB hard drive plugged into the router.. how well this works is ??? I have tested it on earlier models and would say it works OK.. If it is not reliable then use an alternative like backup software like Carbon Copy Cloner. Time Machine is not the best behaved.

My next step was to turn on the Verizon wifi and test that. But that leads me to part 2 of my question.

The alternative is to use a NAS.. keep the Verizon wifi on.. if it is good enough.. you did not say.

Buy a DS-220J Synology NAS which is the cheapest 2-bay in the current series.. and put in one large disk.. say 8TB.. and configure it for Time Machine backups.

Several of us here are now using Synology NAS and they work very well with Time Machine. Especially since it supports latest SMB3 protocol. (Neither the Time Capsule nor routers like Asus support the later protocols Apple has moved to so are forced to use older AFP which makes them less reliable). It is not cheap but you also save yourself a new router if you stick to the supplied unit.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2021 3:43 PM in response to xrob

The Time Capsule is old and the HD is likely starting to go bad

If the TC is 5years old or more just replace it.. it is not worth messing with.

For gigabit internet you need a powerful router and you may as well look at wifi6 as all the new items you buy will support it.

Asus RT-AX86U is one I would look at.

Asus firmware is really head and shoulders above the average.. and is not hard to learn.

Plus it can support Time Machine to a USB hard drive plugged into the router.. how well this works is ??? I have tested it on earlier models and would say it works OK.. If it is not reliable then use an alternative like backup software like Carbon Copy Cloner. Time Machine is not the best behaved.

My next step was to turn on the Verizon wifi and test that. But that leads me to part 2 of my question.

The alternative is to use a NAS.. keep the Verizon wifi on.. if it is good enough.. you did not say.

Buy a DS-220J Synology NAS which is the cheapest 2-bay in the current series.. and put in one large disk.. say 8TB.. and configure it for Time Machine backups.

Several of us here are now using Synology NAS and they work very well with Time Machine. Especially since it supports latest SMB3 protocol. (Neither the Time Capsule nor routers like Asus support the later protocols Apple has moved to so are forced to use older AFP which makes them less reliable). It is not cheap but you also save yourself a new router if you stick to the supplied unit.

Jan 13, 2021 4:29 PM in response to xrob

Thank you for this information. Do you know if this ASUS unit can replace my Fios Quantum Gateway G1100? That would be ideal and reduce down to one device, instead of two.

From your comments.. where you removed the FIOS Gateway and installed your TC the Asus can also do the same.

I am guessing the connection is via fibre box with ethernet so you are using the ethernet connection to WAN of the TC.. that would be identical for any other router.

Something appears to be throttling down the wifi.

Since the hard disk is failing are you really wanting to continue using the TC? It can be done.. but beyond 5 years I think you are wasting your time.

Fixing wireless is tricky.

First thing to do is find the speed at the computer.. so for example.. I hold the option key and click wifi fan.. might be different in most recent Mac OS.

Look at the Tx rate.. 1053Mbps in the case of my AC wireless.

On the other side you can get the info from the Time Capsule.

Click the icon of the TC.. then click the wireless client you are testing.

You can see this is 877Mbps which also shows it is using 5ghz band.

If you are on 2.4ghz then the speed will be slow.. to force the speed to AC wireless you might need to give AC wireless a different name.

So in the wireless options I have given 5ghz a different name to the one on the main page.. this allows me to select it specifically.

Jan 22, 2021 2:28 PM in response to xrob

the 2.4GHz guest network did not do the trick. I was considering still using the TC for just these devices, at least until it was dead or totally obsolete. Thoughts?

The standard wireless spectrum allows for 3 wireless routers to work in fairly close proximity to each other.

Guest wireless is useless for stuff on your local network... remember guest wireless is for clients to get access to the internet WITHOUT allowing local network connection.

Airports always use the lowest common settings for 2.4ghz.. so you can certainly try the Asus again.. make sure you set wifi 2.4ghz to N only, 20mhz only, and try using a fixed channel.. something like 8 or 9 can often work well.

Nest products are known to be finicky.

I have made what I would consider standard changes to the 2.4ghz to help its functionality.

This is from older model but would be similar.

There is an advanced menu but mostly those items can be left default.

There is also a graphical log as well as details inside the main log. Just as before.. it is important to determine if the issue is poor wireless Tx or Rx and which end is the problem.

There is also nothing wrong in using the TC for this job.. I am currently using a couple of TC plugged into the Asus which handle some of the network wifi load. The issue of course is that you need to understand which is doing what.. as the Asus cannot see what the Airport is doing.. or visa versa.

I still have the TC on the network working as the backup disk for now. Plan is to replace that with either a USB SSD or NAS attached to the 2.5GB port. Still unsure on that.

SSD is not useful.. a normal spinning disk is more than adequate for backups. Time Machine has speed limits of around 60GB/hr no matter what disk speed you use.

For a NAS.. well the is up to you.. certainly an expensive unit would see faster speeds.. but unless you really need it most domestic requirements gigabit is fine.. and normal spinning drives will normally do 180+ Mbyte/s .. well above gigabit speed.

Wifi performance improved to around 500Mbps around the house, but sadly not anywhere near what I had hoped.

You need the next lot of clients with AX cards to see big improvements.. for now 500Mbps is about the real limit for 3x3 AC wireless throughput.. just not sure what number you are quoting.. real or indicated speed.. which are very different.

One small issue with the ASUS. My daughter's 12" MacBook has horrible reception with the new router. She is not even the furthest away from the router but she is on the second floor. I have an iMac that is far away that is averaging around 300Mbps. But this 12" MacBook was stuck in the low 30s.

Through floor ceiling and older machine it might be using 2.4ghz.. so yes.. slow.

You can turn the wifi back on the TC if it was better and use that.. older equipment and AX wireless is not always a happy combo.

Jan 13, 2021 3:54 PM in response to xrob

Unfortunately, the information that we provide may not really help......it may make things more difficult.

The Time Capsule was unique. It was the only product on the market that combined both a wireless router and a hard drive in one single package. So, if you are looking for an "all-in-one" device like a Time Capsule, your only choice will be another Time Capsule. Sites like Ebay and Amazon still offer "refurbished" and sometimes "new" products.

The closest that you will come to a Time Capsule is a router from Synology or Asus that includes a USB 3.0 port on the device that will support Time Machine backups to a hard drive that is attached to the USB port. So, you will have a "two-piece" solution instead of a "one-piece" solution.

There are very few routers that will support Time Machine in this manner. Synology and Asus mentioned above will do this, but I am not aware of any others that offer this kind of support.

Frankly, after spending a few minutes to look at the Plume product that you mention, I see nothing that would indicate that you would be able to connect a hard drive to the router and perform Time Machine backups, so if you are considering this product, I would make sure that it will do what you want.....before.....you buy.

None of the mesh WiFi systems that Apple now offers........Linksys, Eero and Netgear......mention anything about Time Machine support to a hard drive attached to the router. Some of these routers don't even have a USB port.

If I was looking at a new mesh WiFi system, I would be looking for a product called a NAS, which stands for Network Attached Storage. The NAS connects to a router using a wired Ethernet cable connection, so as long as the router has a spare Ethernet port, you can add a NAS to the system and back up over the WiFi to the NAS.

Jan 13, 2021 4:09 PM in response to LaPastenague

One more bit of follow-up: when I connect to the Time Capsule via ethernet cable, I am getting the full gigabit speed. Something appears to be throttling down the wifi. I searched the Airport Utility config pages for the Time Capsule but do not appear to have the ability to change the network (i.e. which protocol is used). Is there a way to edit/check the config to see what type of network is being created? Other than the "wireless security" method, I don't see anything else I can change that would affect that.

Jan 13, 2021 4:28 PM in response to xrob

Do you know if this ASUS unit can replace my Fios Quantum Gateway G1100?

Fios normally requires that you use their gateway on their service, but you will need to get with Fios support to find out if their policies have changed and what is and is not possible. They will of course tell you that they will not be able to help on any product other than their own.

You mentioned that you were going to test the Fios WiFi to check speeds that way. Have you done this yet?

If WiFi devices are connecting to the "n" WiFi signal, they will be limited to around 100 Mbps. The "ac" signal is theoretically capable of producing speeds of up to 1,300 Mbps, but something in the range of 600-700 is more realistic if the WiFi device is close to the router.

It would help to know which signal your Mac is connecting to.

Jan 13, 2021 6:01 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you all for the help thus far. Ok, here is what I have been able to discern. When I option-click on my wifi on my mac, I am seeing a TX rate of around 260 Mbps. When I go through the Airport Utility and hover over the same IP, I am seeing the same. Following your advice, I then clicked the 5GHz network name and it added a "5GHz" suffix to my network and then restarted the TC. It did create a separate network and I have connected to it. However, the results are not much better. On my iPhone, I am seeing around 120 Mbps and on my mac, positioned in more or less the same location (about 15 feet unobstructed from the TC), I am seeing around 170 Mbps. While this may suffice for now, I think the plan would be to purchase the ASUS, have it replace the TC, and attach a HD to it to serve as a NAS device. Because the Verizon Router has a coax input and the ASUS does not, I think I may have to keep the Verizon router as an intermediary until and unless I can replace the coax with ethernet. I am unsure if this is possible, but I can try and ask Verizon.

Jan 13, 2021 6:04 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob,

I did a quick test on the Verizon wifi but I only have the 2.4ghz enabled. On that network, I was seeing the same speeds, around 100-120 Mpbs. I will likely need to enable the 5ghz and test it, but will need to wait for a quieter time in the home...unreal how many devices rely on a 24/7 internet connection. If you see my other comment below, I did enable the 5ghz as a separate network on the TC and saw a marginal improvement, but nothing near the 600-700 you mention above.

Jan 13, 2021 6:14 PM in response to xrob

Because the Verizon Router has a coax input and the ASUS does not, I think I may have to keep the Verizon router as an intermediary until and unless I can replace the coax with ethernet. I am unsure if this is possible, but I can try and ask Verizon.

If you have fiber service, there is a device called an ONT located somewhere between the point where the outside connection enters your home and the room where your Fios gateway is located.

Fios normally configures the ONT to provide a co-ax connection to the router that they provide. Most ONTs also have an Ethernet option, but that normally requires a visit from the Fios technician. If your ONT is capable.....and Fios is willing......you might be able to run Ethernet from the ONT directly to the Asus router and by pass the Fios gateway.

Fios will likely be less than thrilled to do this for you, if they even offer that option, but it is worth checking out if you really don't need or want to use the Fios gateway.

Even if this is possible, Fios will only be responsible for the ONT. They won't help with any set up or troubleshooting on the Asus router if there are connection difficulties.

Jan 13, 2021 6:13 PM in response to Bob Timmons

That is certainly my experience with them. If it's anything other than the Verizon hardware, you are on your own. Luckily the service has been very reliable and I have had minimal issues. My safety net is to purchase a used G1100 router, keep it as the middleman between the ONT and the ASUS, and get rid of the $12/mo rental, which is absurd, considering I've had this router for 5+ years (the change in plan resulted in a new rental charge). I will pursue your first option until and unless Verizon refuses to help. Thank you for this suggestion.

Jan 13, 2021 6:14 PM in response to xrob

I did enable the 5ghz as a separate network on the TC and saw a marginal improvement, but nothing near the 600-700 you mention above.

Unfortunately, there is not really anything more than can do at this point, unless you want to try resetting the TC and setting it up again.....with no guarantee that this will help.

You should be seeing a Tx Rate of 600-800 with your Mac in the same room as the TC.

WiFi speeds do decline as a router ages, while Ethernet tends to remain stable. The TC just might be showing its age.

Jan 13, 2021 6:20 PM in response to xrob

If you can locate the ONT, and you want to experiment, open it up and look to see if an Ethernet port is there. It will not hurt to try to connect a Mac using an Ethernet cable directly to the Ethernet port on the ONT to see if it is enabled.

Most likely, it is not. But, if it is, then you will know that you can run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the location of the new router and connect that way, bypassing the Fios gateway.

If the Ethernet port is not enabled on the ONT, then a Fios tech can likely set things up for you that way......IF......Fios is willing to do this.

Jan 22, 2021 7:19 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi there, some follow-up on this:

1 - I purchased and installed the ASUS RT-AX86U you mentioned. I was able to remove the MOCA coax and just use the FiOS ethernet connection. Bye bye Verizon router and the $12/mo charge. Nice!

2 - As you stated, the ASUS was very easy to set up initially. I need to go back and do some additional configuring, but out of the box, it worked very well. No major issues, other than both of my Nest Protects and my LG Washing Machine. Still working on those devices...the 2.4GHz guest network did not do the trick. I was considering still using the TC for just these devices, at least until it was dead or totally obsolete. Thoughts?

3 - I still have the TC on the network working as the backup disk for now. Plan is to replace that with either a USB SSD or NAS attached to the 2.5GB port. Still unsure on that.

4 - Wifi performance improved to around 500Mbps around the house, but sadly not anywhere near what I had hoped. Still a lot better than the TC, although I really need to tip my cap to Apple for the excellent wifi coverage the TC provided. I guess I never knew how good I had it.

5 - One small issue with the ASUS. My daughter's 12" MacBook has horrible reception with the new router. She is not even the furthest away from the router but she is on the second floor. I have an iMac that is far away that is averaging around 300Mbps. But this 12" MacBook was stuck in the low 30s. Awful. She does have a Sonos speaker that apparently was interfering (did not happen with the TC), and when we unplugged that and removed it from her desk, rates improved to around 70Mpbs. Not sure what the deal is there.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, guidance, and support.

AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac limited to 100mbps w/Gigabit Fiber connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.