Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie audio softer than original

I'm having an issue with the sound levels once a clip is imported into iMovie. It's considerably softer (less loud) than the original file I shot with either my iPad or iPhone. Hard to put a number on it, but maybe 20-25% softer. Even listening to the clip the in "project media" it's softer, even though supposedly it should be referencing the source file in my Finder. So the issue is happening as soon as the file is imported into iMovie.

I called tech support and a very helpful person went through all they could think of to see what could be the issue, but could not figure it out. He said he had not come across this problem before. We also tried re-exporting my original file in Quicktime, but this made no difference.

Anybody have any thoughts on how to fix this?

I'm working on an iMac High Sierra 10.13.6. (the Mac is from 2011 and won't update beyond that). iMovie version is 10.1.12.

Thanks!

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 13, 2020 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2020 12:06 PM

>I don't know what you mean by opening iMovie in a "new library".

Open in a new library by holding down the Option key while opening iMovie. You will get a dialogue box that allows you to select the library in which you want to open, including creating a new library. Select to create a new library and iMovie will open in a new blank library. Create a new project in that library and load in your troublesome video clip. See if the sound plays at full volume there. You won't see your old projects in the new library. To get back to your projects in the old library open it by clicking on its icon in the Movies folder on your Mac (Go/Home/Movies). The purpose of opening in a new library is to rule out corruption in your old library.

>If I re-download iMovie, will that get rid of all my files I already have in there? (since I assume re-downloading means first deleting my current iMovie?

No, your files are kept in the iMovie Library, not the app. When you redownload your iMovie app, it will read your old library and all of your projects will be intact and no media will be lost. So don't delete the old library -- just the app. Here's the procedure:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

There are other diagnostic procedures that you can try as well, such as the following:

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects, as described earlier in this response. Now see if the volume plays properly. The purpose of this harmless procedure is to reset any preferences that may be corrupted and causing iMovie to misbehave.

You could try booting up in SafeMode (see Finder menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if iMovie works properly. Don't try to open iMovie while in Safe Mode, because it won't. The purpose of this procedure is to clear out any conflicts that might be causing your issue.

Another thing that you can try is to create a new user account (System Preferences/Users and Groups) and see if iMovie will work properly in the new user account. 

Another thing is to reset your System Management Controller. It is easy to do. Here's the link with instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Hopefully one of the above will isolate and/or cure the sound issue.

-- Rich

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2020 12:06 PM in response to carolcarolcarol

>I don't know what you mean by opening iMovie in a "new library".

Open in a new library by holding down the Option key while opening iMovie. You will get a dialogue box that allows you to select the library in which you want to open, including creating a new library. Select to create a new library and iMovie will open in a new blank library. Create a new project in that library and load in your troublesome video clip. See if the sound plays at full volume there. You won't see your old projects in the new library. To get back to your projects in the old library open it by clicking on its icon in the Movies folder on your Mac (Go/Home/Movies). The purpose of opening in a new library is to rule out corruption in your old library.

>If I re-download iMovie, will that get rid of all my files I already have in there? (since I assume re-downloading means first deleting my current iMovie?

No, your files are kept in the iMovie Library, not the app. When you redownload your iMovie app, it will read your old library and all of your projects will be intact and no media will be lost. So don't delete the old library -- just the app. Here's the procedure:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

There are other diagnostic procedures that you can try as well, such as the following:

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects, as described earlier in this response. Now see if the volume plays properly. The purpose of this harmless procedure is to reset any preferences that may be corrupted and causing iMovie to misbehave.

You could try booting up in SafeMode (see Finder menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if iMovie works properly. Don't try to open iMovie while in Safe Mode, because it won't. The purpose of this procedure is to clear out any conflicts that might be causing your issue.

Another thing that you can try is to create a new user account (System Preferences/Users and Groups) and see if iMovie will work properly in the new user account. 

Another thing is to reset your System Management Controller. It is easy to do. Here's the link with instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Hopefully one of the above will isolate and/or cure the sound issue.

-- Rich

May 13, 2020 4:48 PM in response to Rich839

Rich,

Thank you for the reply, however all that does is raise the volume level of my computer speakers. Doesn't solve the issue that as soon as a video file is imported into iMovie that the sound level of that file is softer.

I'll re-state my question in case I didn't explain it well.

I shoot a video clip with my iPad. I download it to my computer. I listen to it. it sounds good, clear, as loud as I'd expect it to be. I have the volume of my speakers set to the middle.

I then open iMovie and import that clip. I listen to that same clip in iMovie and the sound is much softer/lower. The clip is sitting in my Project Media and nothing has been done to it at all other than import it into iMovie. It's exactly the same (lower volume level) when I bring that clip into my timeline.

If I have my speakers set to exactly the middle setting and listen to the original file (before putting it in iMovie) and then I listen to that same clip in iMovie, I have to raise the volume by 3 maybe 4 clicks in order for it to sound as loud as the original.

So I'm wondering what's going on with iMovie that it's changing the volume level of my files.

I know, it's a weird and mysterious problem. Apple support was unable to figure it out and they suggested I try the forums...

Thanks!

Carol

May 14, 2020 10:53 AM in response to carolcarolcarol

You didn't mention what procedures you did when working with Apple Support. Have you tried redownloading iMovie and, also, opening iMovie in a new library?

If you tried the above with no success, try putting the video clip into the Photos app and see if it plays there at full volume. If it does, open iMovie and access the video via the Photos item in the iMovie sidebar. Then see if it plays at full volume in iMovie.

-- Rich

May 14, 2020 11:27 AM in response to Rich839

Apple Support didn't have me try any of the things you mentioned. They asked how I was placing the video into iMovie (was I using the "import media" arrow? Yes). They had me try re-encoding with Quicktime. They asked if any of the noise reduction or equalizer settings were highlighted or changed (No). Possibly there was one other thing they asked about but I don't remember for sure.

I don't know what you mean by opening iMovie in a "new library".

If I re-download iMovie, will that get rid of all my files I already have in there? (since I assume re-downloading means first deleting my current iMovie?) (Sorry, I know this is probably a very stupid question, but I've never had to do that before).

I tried your suggestion to put the video in the Photos app. Yes it DOES play there at full volume. When I access that file in iMovie via the Photos in the sidebar the volume is down again, just as originally was happening.

Thanks so much,

Carol

iMovie audio softer than original

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.