Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grayed Files on the save window when downloading files, and unable to search on that folder

Hey everyone,

I've encountered with something that's driving nuts. Whenever I try to save a file (download) to folder, I see all files in that folder grayed out unable to search files in that folder. This is all on the save window (finder style) that opens when you are downloading a file so you can choose where to save it.

Attached a video that compares unsuccessful search for a file in that window Vs successful search of the file on a different finder window. And I think this has to do with that grayed files thing.

Help on this is very much appreciated!

https://youtu.be/3UDXHK6nJ-c

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 13, 2020 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2020 11:48 AM

That's normal behavior. Files within a folder will be grayed out as they can't be selected to house the file you're downloading. Folders within the download window are not grayed out and can be selected as a destination location.

4 replies

May 14, 2020 9:59 AM in response to JowiBenz

Howdy JowiBenz,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand that you are unable to search for a specific file when trying to save on your Mac. Let’s take a look and see what we can do. I'm happy to help!

The first thing that I was able to spot with your video that you provided was that when initially saving a file that your Mac was searching in the "Phillip" folder. Then, opening Finder the computer searched in "This Mac".

I would try to search "This Mac" when saving a file to see if the file is located elsewhere on the Mac and not in the "Phillip" folder. You can switch to searching "This Mac" in the top left of the window that pops-up to save the file. It will be under the back/forward and sorting buttons.

Best regards!

May 18, 2020 10:11 AM in response to brenden dv

Hi brenden,

Thanks for your answer. Well it seems this is normal behavior as Old Toad mention later in this thread. I do recommend however that this gets fixed because it has practical uses like for example, searching for a file on the same window when downloading another file, why? Simply to find and select a file which name is wanted to be use for naming the new file to be downloaded, and maybe change the suffix or just a part of the file name. This is something I used to do a lot in Windows OS and saves a lot of time...

Thanks for your help!

Grayed Files on the save window when downloading files, and unable to search on that folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.