Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

File name randomly displays on screen even when Finder is closed

When I hover the cursor over certain parts of the screen for too long, a grey box pops up with the name of a file as if I had Finder open and hovered over the name of a file. However, it happens when I don't have Finder open, which is the issue. It's as if Finder detects the cursor through all the other screens.

I figured out that it's the files from Recents folder (even though it'd happen even when I didn't have it open), and when I hid it in Preferences from the sidebar, it just started showing files from Desktop.

It's been an issue for a long time, and no updates have fixed it (currently I have Sonoma 14.3.1). It's infuriating, and I don't know what to do at this point.

MacBook Air (M2, 2023)

Posted on Mar 7, 2024 8:13 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 25, 2024 4:23 PM in response to aynasv

I have the same issue. Right now as I type this, a grey box with a folder name (INSTAGRAM) is hovering over my text (screenshot). It's really impacting my ability to use my computer for design work. This occurs in all apps, constantly, whether or not I restart the apps or the computer. Hoping someone from Apple can give us some guidance ASAP.

File name randomly displays on screen even when Finder is closed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.