Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I hide columns instead of rows with a filter?

Hello everyone,

I use a filter to "hide rows" depending on a whether a checkbox is ticked or not and that is a pretty straight forward filter. But it appears that one can only hide rows, not hide columns. So how can I do the same so that "columns" are automatically hidden or shown based on whether a checkbox is ticked or not? You might argue that I can transpose the table so that my rows become columns and vice versa but I want to have an overview where on my left the rows stay the same and I can easily read the Header Rows and compare 2 or more selected columns.

Does anyone know if this is possible and/or how to do this?

Much obliged,

BassPlaya

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 13, 2020 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 11:47 PM

Hi BP.

The filter feature in Numbers is based on a data base model in which each row is a separate record and each column is a field in the records. You can use the filter to view a selection of records, but there isn't a means of applying a filter to display only specified fields in all records.

You can hide a single column, a contiguous group of columns, or a set non contiguous columns manually with not much trouble. Here's a brief example:

For whatever reason, I want to hide columns B, D and F of this table, leaving only columns A, C and E visible.

I start by clicking on a cell to activate the table and show the column and row reference tabs.

I then click on the reference tab for column B, press command then click on D, then on F, then release the command key.

With the three columns selected, I hover the pointer over one of the selected reference tabs (I chose D to keep the resulting menu within the bounds of the table), then choose Hide Selected columns from that menu…

…and get this result.

To unhide the hidden columns, go to any of the column reference tabs, click the v that opens the menu and choose Unhide all hidden columns.

Regards,

Barry

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2020 11:47 PM in response to BassPlaya

Hi BP.

The filter feature in Numbers is based on a data base model in which each row is a separate record and each column is a field in the records. You can use the filter to view a selection of records, but there isn't a means of applying a filter to display only specified fields in all records.

You can hide a single column, a contiguous group of columns, or a set non contiguous columns manually with not much trouble. Here's a brief example:

For whatever reason, I want to hide columns B, D and F of this table, leaving only columns A, C and E visible.

I start by clicking on a cell to activate the table and show the column and row reference tabs.

I then click on the reference tab for column B, press command then click on D, then on F, then release the command key.

With the three columns selected, I hover the pointer over one of the selected reference tabs (I chose D to keep the resulting menu within the bounds of the table), then choose Hide Selected columns from that menu…

…and get this result.

To unhide the hidden columns, go to any of the column reference tabs, click the v that opens the menu and choose Unhide all hidden columns.

Regards,

Barry

Can I hide columns instead of rows with a filter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.