Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers Application

I am trying to create a filter drop down box, much as EXCEL has, to view identical entries within a given column. I find that you can do it with the little arrow in the column space on top itself, but it limits my view to only 25 choices. My list is much longer than that. How can I expand that, or, better, set up all the dropdown boxes for the columns desired so I can use them as needed/

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 1, 2020 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2020 6:25 PM

As far as I'm aware, you can't. Numbers does something similar automatically when this setting is checked in Numbers Preferences:

The suggestions are a list of values already entered in the column that match what you've entered so far in the current cell, as in the example below, seen at various stages of making the entry in A8 (first two) and in A9 (last part). As you type more, the suggestion list eliminates any terms that do not match what's been entered so far.

At any point in the entry, you can click on the match for your target, should it be visible in the current list.

Overall, keep in mind that Numbers is not Excel, nor is it a direct substitute for Excel when it comes to large projects.

Step one: Pick the tool that is best for the job. Sometimes that is Numbers, sometimes it's not.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2020 6:25 PM in response to gjleo

As far as I'm aware, you can't. Numbers does something similar automatically when this setting is checked in Numbers Preferences:

The suggestions are a list of values already entered in the column that match what you've entered so far in the current cell, as in the example below, seen at various stages of making the entry in A8 (first two) and in A9 (last part). As you type more, the suggestion list eliminates any terms that do not match what's been entered so far.

At any point in the entry, you can click on the match for your target, should it be visible in the current list.

Overall, keep in mind that Numbers is not Excel, nor is it a direct substitute for Excel when it comes to large projects.

Step one: Pick the tool that is best for the job. Sometimes that is Numbers, sometimes it's not.

Regards,

Barry

May 5, 2020 9:02 PM in response to gjleo

gjleo wrote:

I would like to easily see what we spent at Target during the course of the given month.

Have you tried out the Categories feature in Numbers? It's similar to Subtotals (and some kinds of Pivot Tables) in Excel.

It's very easy to use.

When you're finished you can turn off Categories in the Organize panel at the right.

SG

May 4, 2020 6:06 PM in response to Barry

Thank you Barry,

This workbook was written in Excel, and I was using the Excel for Mac application when my laptop shot craps. SO now I am on my iMac trying to get the feel.

My list, in this example, is a list of stores we made purchases from. It is about 75-80 entries, and contains multiple instances, for example, Target Stores. I would like to easily see what we spent at Target during the course of the given month.

In the Preferences area, I do have the 'Show Suggestions when editing Tables', and it works great, but what I am really looking for is that as the month goes on, I can put entries in and see my spending at Target, Xcel Energy, Olad Chicago, etc. Do you have any ideas for that?

May 5, 2020 12:48 AM in response to gjleo

SUMIF or SUMIFS is your friend here.

SUMIF gives you the sum of all cells fitting a given condition—such as store name.

SUMIIFS is similar, but lets you specify more than one condition.—such as store name, earliest date and latest date. A cell must meet all conditions for its content to be included in the sum.

You'll find details on these functions in the Function Browser. Click on any empty cell in a Numbers document, type =, and the browser will open in the right sidebar of your Numbers document.

Take a look at them, try them out, and post back here with any questions.

You might also take a look at the Summary page of the Personal Budget template in your copy of Numbers for an example.

Regards,

Barry

Numbers Application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.