Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Third-party app to delete apps completely

I was wondering if anyone uses a third-party app to completely delete apps on your Mac. The usual uninstalling process does not completely clear of the related folders on the memory.

Thank you!

MacBook

Posted on May 14, 2020 1:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2020 3:10 AM

Be careful with any "cleaning" applications. They have been know to "clean" too well and render systems unstable.

Most applications can just be dragged to the trash, and may leave minimal traces - like preference files or a small folder inside Applicatio Support.

Other applications have their own uninstallers.

Do you have a specific application in mind that you want to delete?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2020 3:10 AM in response to PleaseHelpMyMacPlease

Be careful with any "cleaning" applications. They have been know to "clean" too well and render systems unstable.

Most applications can just be dragged to the trash, and may leave minimal traces - like preference files or a small folder inside Applicatio Support.

Other applications have their own uninstallers.

Do you have a specific application in mind that you want to delete?

May 17, 2020 3:15 AM in response to PleaseHelpMyMacPlease

Those are pretty small files that I would not even bother with.

If you want, you can manually trash them.

I'd rather not trust another application to delete stuff.

Preferences are in ~/Library/Preferences and named in reverse like com.apple.Finder.plist (this is the Finder preferences file, as you may have guessed; com.google.chrome.plist is another, you get the idea)

There may be a small folder named after the application in ~/Library/Application Support

And in most cases that is it.

Leave it alone, or delete it manually.

Third-party app to delete apps completely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.