Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When deleting an app in this way, does it also remove all associated files with that app?

When deleting an app in this way, does it also remove all associated files with that app? I see there are many offers of software to "clean the Mac", but are they really necessary. Does the Mac have its own tools for cleaning up any left over fragments?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2023 3:46 PM

Don't think so because the app is triggered by dragging the app to be deleted into the window. If you're already deleted the app it won't know what to look for.

However, you can use to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name in the file name.  For XXXX software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains XXXX

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2023 3:46 PM in response to Cactuscanary

Don't think so because the app is triggered by dragging the app to be deleted into the window. If you're already deleted the app it won't know what to look for.

However, you can use to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name in the file name.  For XXXX software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains XXXX

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

Feb 28, 2023 3:01 PM in response to Cactuscanary

I use the open source app AppCleaner . It removes the app and all associated supporting files. This Firefox is an example:

It's save but need the Warning below:

WARNING: If you use AppCleaner on an app that you have other apps from the same developer, like Adobe, you must be extremely careful checking all checkboxes and deleting.  Some for those files may support other apps from the same developer and deleting them can mess them up.  Adobe apps is a primary example. I know from experience.  For singular apps from a developer it's safe.

Feb 28, 2023 2:15 PM in response to Cactuscanary

For many apps the best way to uninstall is to go to the developers page and see if they have instructions, especially the high end apps such as Microsoft Office, Adobe etc. Using the standard delete method will be fine for many apps. Cleanup apps and Anti-virus aren't safe to use as they are known to cause problems, however I do use an app from the App Store called Delete App: Uninstaller which lets you see what files are deleted before you commit, I have not had any issues to date.

When deleting an app in this way, does it also remove all associated files with that app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.